Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Surface problem, need some suggestions.

Hello Surface Gurus,

I've got this surface that is driving me crazy. I've attached some images to help with what I will try to describe. The first image (patch-06) shows what I am trying to do. Surface by boundaries with curvature constraints all around. The surface works, but I get this ripple going across the surface. The 2nd image (patch-04) kind of shows that. In an attempt to smooth that out, I tried adding another curve along that direction. See image patch-01. The surface looked better, but I could not get a curvature constraint on the left boundary. But I could get a tangent constraint. Although it looked better, it really wasn't when I analyzed it, see image patch-05. Another problem that showed up after I did that was the surface boundary on the right no longer looked tangent/curvature continuous, see image patch-02-2, even though it is constrained as such.

If you have some tips for me I would love to hear them. I'd be happy to send the file to those who want it to see what is going on a little more closely.

Thanks,

-Victor

Attachments

• patch-06.JPG
    patch-06.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 23
  • patch-04.JPG
    patch-04.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 20
  • patch-01.JPG
    patch-01.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 16
  • patch-05.JPG
    patch-05.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 14
  • patch-02-2.JPG
    patch-02-2.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 17
Hello Victor

first - IMHO - to me your patch is over constrainrd, I mean selected constraints(Curvature) do invoke many of problems you`re trying to solve(smoothness)

Get rid of them, and replace them with tangent ones.

second - I would divide your patch into smaller ones, in example two patches. Partial line should go through 3 points you used in boundary blend

you can send a model to me for evalaution - [email protected]

Attachments

• PATCH PROBLEM.jpg
    PATCH PROBLEM.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
How did u made second curve in first picture. With out full details of the surface u cant make an intermediate curve to get smooth surface. Can u attach the surface

Hello Jacek,

Thanks so much for your comments. I will try to answer/explain why I did what I did.

1) The surfaces need to be c2. The tangent constraint will not give me the results I need. I realize it can introduce problems, but most of the other boundaries are c2.

2) I tried splitting up the surface, but the free end on the 1st half ends up having a condition that makes the next surface look funny trying to be tangent/curvature to it.

I sent the model to you. Thanks for taking the time to look at it.

Regards,

-Victor

Hello j.s.

The second curve was created by 1st creating a datum plane, then creating points at each end that intersected the boundary curve and the plane. I attached an image of the curve sketch. I added that curve because I needed the surface to bump out more. Without it, the surface was a little to flat, and it actually had a much worse condition. Adding that curve made it look a lot better.

curve_def-01.JPG

designengine (Bart?),

I tried doing that with undesirable results. I decided to try a different approach altogether. So far it's looking good, but I will be introducing a whole different set of problems. I haven't gotten to that bridge just yet, so we'll see what happens.

Thanks,

-Victor

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back