Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Substitute Length of Part for Quantity

verge

I'm looking for a way to substitute, within my BOM, the length of a part for the quantity of that part used in an assembly.

For example, I'm using four pieces of steel tubing, eachtwelveinches long. In my BOM, I want to see 48 in place of 4. Of course, I still want my BOM balloon to show 4 as the quantity. I have seen examples of this, and wonder if anyone knows how to do this.

Seems as though it should be simple...

why don't you show inyour BOM both quantity and overal length and then show the baloons with quantity. So every one is happy.

But I guess you can do this with a repeat region relation like:

if exists("qty") or if exists("rpt_qty")

qty=asm_mbr_length

else

qty=rpt_qty

endif

in case the above doesn't work and you want this only for a few parts you could create a parameter "overide" in the parts you would like to do this switch and write something like:

if exists("asm_mbr_overide")

qty=asm_mbr_length

else

qty=rpt_qty

endif

I didn't tried this, I only thought of this now. So it could not work, but on the other hand it make sense so it should work.

Thanks, Vlad. I was thinking of something similar myself. I won't have a chance to try this for a few days probably now, but will let you know how it works out.

I was realizing that all of the parts I want to use this function for have family tables, since they're all various lengths of structural materials - angle iron, steel tubing, etc. We'll probably wind up simply feeding the length information from the family tables directly to the ERP system we're slowly implementing.

I will try your technique, though, simply because it could come in handy in many variations in the future.
smiley2.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back