Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Student Version

BlueFish

I purchased a student copy of ProE to work on a student project. The school version is commercial and my files will not open with my copy that I purchased. Is there anyway to getthe files to open with ProE student version? I can prove I am legitimate if there is a formal process fwiw.

Alex

I emphasized legitimate since I believe in following the rules. I think this is unfair however, and I am currently upset since I paid roughly $300 for an ornamental cd.

Alex
Edited by: BlueFish

The other way is to write out your files in another format such as igs or neu. These can be imported to the comercial version but the history is lost.

You have options called floating, or something like that, when you turn on this in student version, then you can read files in commercial version.

The "Academic" ( University / school ) version, is different to the "student" version and files created in one cannot be read by the other !

There is an extension which can be purchased by the University that will allow you to convert the parts between all 3 versions ( Academic, Student & Commercial ) but it is very expensive and most do not purchase this option.

We are having similar issues at the Universaty which i currently attend. I believe the University is trying to negotiate a more reasonable price for this convertor from PTC, until then we have to use IGES format.

This issue comes up a lot. It seems to me that instructors or department heads should know about this issue and instruct their students how to manuever through the various Pro/E versions. What did they know & what did they let their students know, were they consulted & if not, why not?

Shouldn't instructors or department heads let their students know about these kinds of issues. Why purchase the student version without consulting with your teacher?

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back