Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Specify alt CSYS for EMN/EMP import

telecomguy

I have some components that were downloaded and/or generated without ECAD interface in mind. The default coordinate system is not located/oriented properly. So I have added an additional CSYS that matches our Mentor database components.The export from ProE to Mentor works great because I can select the alternate CSYS during the export process.

But when the CAD guys send me an EMN/EMP export from Mentor and I pull it into ProE the parts get placed based on the original default CSYS and not my alternate CSYS.

How/where do I specify the mapping (I intentionally used that word because that's where I would expect to do it) to my new CSYS? Or is it one of those 'magic name' situations where I need to rename my CSYS to some special name that is not documented anywhere but the import process knows about?

Thanks,

<tg>

This is not the best solution and may be time consuming but will work. Take the imported file and supress the csys, suspend all other data. Make your new csys then export using this csys. The new file will then use this for the default.

Krow72

It's a more permanent solution than what I've been doing. I roll back in the model tree and insert a copy of each screwed up part and align the 'right' csys to the 'wrong' csys of the part that imported. Then I fix that new component and delete the old one, ensuring my datum is now at the right spot. Gotta do that for each part everytime I get an updated export from Mentor.

I just thought since theexport process has an option for selecting a different csys, it would only make sense that the import process would also. You know how intuitive & consistentthose ProE programmers are...

<tg>

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back