Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Specific timed tests

Our company is trying to comparea local install of Pro/e and INTRALINK, versus a solutionentirely over the network. Canthose of you who have looked at thisidentify some tests that can be run and timed to compare one setup versus the other?

I have already run a startup timed test, and it looks like the the network startup takes about30 seconds, versus 3 seconds for the local install. What other areas should I be looking at?

Thanks in advance.

From previous threads on this subject, I don't think you will find much if any difference besides initial startup. One area that I do see a little delay in our network install is opening the dialog box for dimensions in drawings. The first time it takes just a second longer than subsequent openings.

Both of those are very good startup times by the way, you must have some decent hardware.

Your times are very good. When I tested WF2 with Interlinik, my times were 1:15 vs 0:15 for a fresh login startup. Your times are close to what I saw with subsequent launches of WF. The difference is because the data has been cached at the workstation.

Check all of your groups, if spreadout over a wide area. We are in 4 buildings and I see different times depending on whose desk I am checking the times on.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I haven't had a chance to test times on more remote locations, but I am in the same building as the server.

We do see the major differences in startup times, and as Dr. Gallup mentioned, when acessing cell properties in drawing modes. i have also rana test with an 87 component drawing that showed drastic differences between the two, 4 minutes remote, 17 seconds local, but I will be retesting that today to make sure that those times are accurate.

Keep it coming! I would be happy to hear your additional thoughts. Also, if there are already existing threads that are very informative please link to them, and I will pull what I can out of them.

When you say "remote locations" areyou talking about remote sites in terms of differentphysical lcoationsand not just "the far end of the building"? That would completely change the scenario and the relevance of these replys.

P.S. Is your last name 309 by any chance?

My middle name is 3, but my last name is just 09.
smiley2.gif

Different buildings on the same site. We are all running on the same network/backbone, but half of my engineers are located at one end of one building, and the other half ar at the other end of another building, and I am off in some corner of the whole site.

We app serve Pro/E (WF 2 M160) and Intralink (3.4 M020 - the .proi structure
(and hence the Workspaces) is local on each users workstation which are Dell
Precision 370s and 380s) and I recorded the following times (from a fresh
reboot/restart) when we went live with both WF 2 and 3.4 a few weeks ago:

First launch of Intralink (from a double-click on the icon on my desktop to
the splash screen to the Intralink login screen) - 23 seconds. Subsequent
logins run 11 or 12 seconds.

First and all subsequent launches of a linked session of Pro/E are running
41 or 42 seconds from first click to PTCs WF 2 Resource Page up in full
in the browser window.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World