Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Some surfaces behaviour makes me confused

Awesome work mate
smiley32.gif

wish You see my my face- haven`t slept for months.

And my eyes - you would not achieve such colors even within 32 bit palette in Photoshop!

Zebra - ttrying to maintan at least at basic level curv. continuity between surfaces was the very first big task regarding this challenge.

wow, really cool, and the zebra stripes confirm good quality of surfaces.
one question. is there a way to place pictures without ISDX?

Edited by: solidworm

yeap, this is possible

hence - I haven`t used ISDX in this challenge. I am do not even have a possibility to run this cause I am equiped only with - what was named in past - Foundation Package.

My trick is following

1) Create Fill surface with exact size

2) Place a texture witn blueprint on it

Yeah I havent got the ISDX extension either, I think you will learn much more creating things like cars with basic surfaces anyway, ISDX is a cheater lol.

Surfacing looks pretty neat there Jacek, cant wait for your tutorial
smiley36.gif

I must say - unfortunately - Pro/E let me down in some areas, specialy Spline tool in Sketcher does not fit quite good to task like this, but more about it later...

I think ISDX would allow me to decrease feats count at leas a half.

Hence, I still learned a lot because I am lacking it(isn`t it wired?
smiley36.gif
).

So Skint, You are right about a little cheating by ISDX. I mean when one struggles so much with ordianry tools, he can then appreaciate those in ISDX. Specialy in cases like these

telling a prospective client / employer that you created that car using only standard surfacing must be quite an intro compared to those of an ISDX user ? I can see from that little picture that you either have free or tangent connections on the whole BB lol
smiley36.gif
, even that requires a clapping hand sometimes with pro-e
smiley32.gif

Edit : Just thought I would ask, it seems you are creating the car as one complete quilt or set of surfaces rather than say a part for the wing, the bonet, the bumper etc ? Why do most surfacing guru`s tend to do it this way rather than creating seperate parts and making an assy, as with an assy you could move parts and say render with an open door etc....

.... just wondering and rambling lol.
Edited by: [-Skint-]

i guess thats what they call "master model" technique. it's a way of modeling assemblies which have formed surfaces across several parts. the next step is to create the assembly, but i don't know how to implement this in proe.

[-Skint- said:
]

I can see from that little picture that you either have free or tangent connections on the whole BB lol
smiley36.gif
, even that requires a clapping hand sometimes with pro-e
smiley32.gif

well, good notice! In fact it only looks like to be left without control(free). There are almost always some steps done before to lay down neccessary constraints/conditions.

Let`s take rear spoiler in consideration. There are many ways to handle shape like this. I can introduce two(which in the end consist of on my surfacing approach):

*exact modeling - You build surfaces/patches from the curves as they look like on pictures(blueprints). So You end up with Intersection curves without ISDX, and almost always it introduces 3nd Boundary conditions.

*overbuild method - You build surfaces a little bigger than they are seen on pictures. Next You trim them to obtain final result.

Overbuild was used in rear spoiler

same for front fender. First special surface was created to serve as main references for neccessary curves

this surface is not visible on the model because it does not exist in real car. Figuring out proper way to make fender consumed me a lot of effort and time. There were amy attempts, with last I am most happy with.

[-Skint- said:
]

Edit : Just thought I would ask, it seems you are creating the car
as one complete quilt or set of surfaces rather than say a part for the
wing, the bonet, the bumper etc ? Why do most surfacing guru`s tend to
do it this way rather than creating seperate parts and making an assy,
as with an assy you could move parts and say render with an open door
etc....

The answer is - it is easier. Why? Well, in my particular example I am not equiped with AXX. So I can not handle external references in proper manner(No Global referrence Viewer in Assembly Mode). Another case is time. You would consume a lot more time while toogling between many models/windows in the same time. Plus, making all in one model gives at the beggining more consistance geometery. Hence, in the end it comes down hard

What is really beneficial, what I found it as beneficial, is to stay with single surfaces as long as possible and do not merge them to soon. I also have an assembly and distribute surfaces to special models/parts and merge them there. This is more relyable. So it close to master model technique mentioned by SolidWorm

Hi Jacek,

It's so nice model
smiley32.gif

I wonder that it's made by datum curve and boundary, right?

And I'm waiting for your tutorial
smiley2.gif

Keep it up bro.

BR

there are many tools invloved in this model. to count a few:

*ordinary sketches ==> Intersections curves

*ordinary Extrude/Revolve surfs ==> references for curves and points

*Boundary Blend ==> the tool of choice. Surfaces creation + curve creation(yes, that is right, I use BB often fot curve creation)

*VSS - used when surface is simple enough plus curves network takes to much effort.

*Curve through points - in use but I always try to avoid using of this feature.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back