Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

SOLIDWORKS

oldman

Hi all

Is it possible to import a drawing from Solidworks 1999 to ProE Wildfire 2?

I have tried renaming the drawing to DXF or DWG ,STP. Just says invalid file name.

I don't have Solidworks on my computer. It is on another computer in Engineering.

Would it be possible to change the name on that computer and then import into ProE?

smiley19.gif

You would need to do a save-as in Solidworks to dxf or some other format then open the file in Pro/E. What you would have then is just a drawing of draft entites. To get the model, you would need to do a save-as (to iges or step)of the Solidworks part or assembly, then open that file in Pro/E. If you did both the model and drawing would have no releationship to each other.

If getting files across was nothing more than changing the extension then a lot of companies would be out of work !

Each CAD-format has its own structure, which is even different from version to version. So your best option is to find the most intelligent common format that the original program can export and the receiving end can understand.

If my understanding is correct, following the procedure described by PRStockhausen would not allow for the creation of a Pro/E model with all of the model tree information, just a single "feature" in the tree comprised of the translated part.

Does anyone know of a way to convert a Solidworks model in such a way that the model tree is also translated allowing for modification of the model features?

Thanks!

Only with VERY EXPENSIVE software from companies that specialize in feature translation.

Yes, it is possible, but is it feasible or cost justified.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back