Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Sketching Ellipse Question

nofalloff

Is there an easy way of defining an ellipse in sketcher by dimensioning its circumference and either Rx or Ry value?

In Sketcher click on the arrow near the circle button. The button will expand, and the last option there is the ellipse button. The default dimensioning is Rx & Ry. And you get a brand new ellipse. :)

mihaicretu said:
In Sketcher click on the arrow near the circle button. The button will expand, and the last option there is the ellipse button. The default dimensioning is Rx & Ry. And you get a brand new ellipse. :)

Thanks but I know how to sketch an ellipse. What I need is to sketch one with a specific circumference. I need to then make that value a locked dimension so that I can vary either the Rx or Ry dimension to suit.

You should try and constrain the major and minor axis in the relations menu. The circumference of an ellipse can be estimated by
C = 2
pi.gif
sqrt((a<sup>2</sup>+b<sup>2</sup>)/2)
</pre>
If you replace "a" and "b" with the dimension reference of your ellipse and keep "C" a constant you should be able to constrain your ellipse.

I looked it up and it turns out there is not easy equation for an ellipse, it actually requires some calculus to determine. The equation I gave you is an approximation. I would recommend doing you own research for an equation your most comfortable with.

Edited by: fiebigc

Sketch the ellipse. Then, while in sketcher, select the ellipse and choose Edit/Convert To/Perimeter. Select either Rx or Ry to be driven by the perimeter dimension.

anwyl said:
Sketch the ellipse. Then, while in sketcher, select the ellipse and choose Edit/Convert To/Perimeter. Select either Rx or Ry to be driven by the perimeter dimension.

Bingo!
thanks

Fiebigc: I started down the rout you suggested but it was becoming a bit too complicated and a PIA. thanks for your help though.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back