Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

show and erase in 2D drawings

jaga_ps

Is it compulsary to use show and erase option for creating dimensions in 2D drawings. or can we go for created dimensions (Insert>dimensions>New references)

Please advice which is the standard procedure to follow.

Regards

S.Jagadeesh.

Depends on the situation

1. If you are creating a drawing for a part whichis having family table i prefer through Show/Erase option because if you suppress any feature all the dimensions driving that feature automatically gets suppressed in the drawing also.

2. If the part is big and there is possibilty of modification in the future, then created dimensions are best to depend on, coz easily you can find out where the modification was done what dimensions you have to update with out studying the whole drawing. While creating the dimensions prefer datums as your referances. Dont take any edges or rounds as your references unless no choice, it may spoil your entire drawing since edge ids keeps changing if you adds any cuts/ protrusion or any new feature.

I try to use only shown model dimensions. It is much easier to understand model regeneration when you make a change if the part dimensioning scheme is the same as the drawing. Of course, there are exceptions but I think most of my drawings are 100% shown dimensions.

Dear Kiran and gallup

thanks for your opinions..

if we use shown dimensions option, there is possibility of changing the model dimensions when chaning the corresponding dimension in the drawing..in a complex models it leads to failure of the 3D model. So i followed mostly created dimensions in my drawing....but my boss suggested me not to follow the created dimension option..i dont know whats wrong in that...if any one could please narrate the difference between shown dimensions and created dimensions...

thanks

Jagadeesh

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back