Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

shells "contact"

misiek_wro

Hi all,

I have a small problem with surfaces in Pro/Mechanica.

What kind of feature should I use to create "contact" between two surfaces. (Maybe rigidlink, bonded interface and etc.) ?

Thanks in advance
michal

Edited by: misiek_wro

Michal,

Although Mechanica does not allowshells tocontact through a direct means, you can still simulate contact through the use of springs. If you pattern a series of points on one of your contacting surfacesand then create springs as "point-to-surface" (with the "surface" being the shell you did not create points on), you can effectively force shells in Mechanica to "contact" each other. Make sure your pattern does not try to create points that fall into holes or gaps. I have seen this work very successfully, to the point where it matched ANSYS results for contacting shells.

Cheers,

Chris
Edited by: Kaz Z06

Hi all,
Thanks for the reply and interesting my post.
I'm attaching a .zip file with a few screens (x-sec, view) my model.

2008-02-19_192312_model.zip

Now I will be try use springs to simulate contact between surfaces.

michal

p.s. When and where we should use Rigid Link?

Hi all,

Sorry for the delay. I was travelling for the last few weeks and was away form computer for long. But now I try create analysis with shell contact using spring connection, but still I have problem with element connection.

I'm attaching the model. (WF 3.0)

Anybody have any suggestion??
Thanks in advance.
Michal

2008-03-10_041420_assm.zip

I also tried modeling the same effect (contact region) in my modelto verify with the results from contact analysis only to end up with same error. So I changed the sprng from simple to advanced. I am rerunning the analysis and as of now it iscruising through with pass 5. I will keep you posted if it works well.

My objective about using this technique is to usecontact regionin vibration analysis but I am not sure how reliable this technique is with vibration analysis when resonance is involved.
Edited by: Shaumack

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back