Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

sharepoint / productpoint

bcooper

The company I work for is moving toward using Microsoft's share point for their document management system, for everything other than the CAD files. I have been researching CAD document management solutions other than Intralink or PDM link. We currently use Intralink 8.0 and are not happy with it.

Does anyone have any experiance or thoughts on PTC's product point?

If all non cad documents are stored and managed outside of Intralink, we don't need a sofisticated system to manage our cad documents. All we really need is document controll, checking in, checking out, locking and keeping a history of changes.

We are in thesimilar position and have Intralink 3.4. I would also like to know if Product Point would be of use to us instead of making the jump to Intralink 9.0.

Hey,

We are starting with scharepoint and productpoint as we
speak. So I will know more in a couple of weeks.
We have high expectations!

Miguel

I would be interested in knowing how it works for you. Are you migrating from another database or arre you starting from scratch?

We start from scratch.
We're working with 30.000 proE files without any Data Management system.

We expect a lot of it, but I'm also aware that it's
gonna take a lot of work.

On our side, we just started to use Sharepoint. I test it with small files and the response of the server is quite slow...

I wanted to revisit this post and see if there was any new information from anyone using ProductPoint. We probably won't do anything before 2010, (tight budgets this year) but would like to learn from other users experiance good or bad.

thanks.

Product Point is basically helpfull if a company just needs a tool to keep various versions of the product or manage Pro/E files etc. But if a company has a rigorous change management which is practiced and needs to be run in a control way, product point may not be the right option and one needs to have a pro/Intralink or PDMLink which is superb in this. Product Point is basically targeted to smaller firms which needs limited data management capabilities and need not spend much on the PDM/PLM process.

I have listed out the differance between Pro/Intralink, PDMLink and Product Point in the below form. Hope it Helps.

Edited by: Sudharshan123

Pro/Intralink 9.1 Capabilities<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

<UL style="MARGIN-TOP: 0in" =disc>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; COLOR: #333333; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">Web-based</LI>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; COLOR: #333333; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">Robust Pro/ENGINEER data management (e.g., versioning, check in/out, lock, as stored)</LI>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; COLOR: #333333; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">Workspace frames</LI>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; COLOR: #333333; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">Create and manage baselines</LI>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; COLOR: #333333; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">Configurable part numbering and versioning </LI>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; COLOR: #333333; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">Replication</LI>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; COLOR: #333333; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">Multi-platform support</LI>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; COLOR: #333333; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">Embedded 3D visualization</LI>[/list]

Note: Pro/Intralink 3.4 has all the above capabilities except it

I had some early quotes of $1500 per seat. I did recentl'y recieve some information that PTC may have a program where you can trade 1 seat of intralink for two seats of product point for $1400.

Check with PTC or your local VAR for pricing.

$2000 a seat (?!) I thought this was supposed to be social networking for Pro/E. Someone should tell PTC facebook is free.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back