Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Set working Directory...

All,

At my work we have an xp pro machine, running Pro/E wildfire 2.0 and there is a problem with the users, once logged in, starting Pro/E.

The problem is that when they either double click on the shortcut on the desktop or going through the start menu, Pro/E starts and instead of starting normally, it popsup a window asking for a startup directory, instead of just starting normally and displaying all the root directories and such.

I have read through a lot of posts but nothing really refers to this particular problem, unless it is the same as the rest, especially the config.pro file. Would anyone say that changing that path in the shortcut fix the problem? What about the permissions on the folder where the pro/e startup directory works off of? Does it have to be changed so that users can alter that particular directory, so that trail files and such know that the users are allowed to add files to that directory and such?

Please clarify this for me, thanks a lot!!!

you dont need to change anythign in teh folder pre works off from...that is the from teh program files or anythign else...
just change the path in the short cut...it works...atleast it worked for me....it sets that as the default deriectory from then on...you can do the same for both the dekstop shortcut as well as the shortcut in start--> all programs...

PS: for the latter... enable click and drag options for the start menu...or else right click has no funcion in the start menu..

I have a problem that sounds alot like this one. I think that what is going on with my system is that pro is in the "C:" drive and we have put the work directory in the "D:" drive. This is in xp. This also happens in some of my games at home. All of the paths are set to the "D:" drive as well as the environment variable. I don't think that pro can handle this kind of config. I have been running pro from version 17 and until we put the work directory in the "D:" drive Inever had this problem. If I choose "set working directory" tehn it goes to the correct folder. If you just go "file open" then it goes to c:\user\my docs. It sounds to me that he is trying to use a "working" directory in the server. Perhaps theis could be the problem.For some reason when windows partitions the drive they make the system "C" side fat 32, but the "D" side is ntfs?

A couple of things that might help several queries

1. In agreeing with Dr Gallup; I would thoroughly recommend putting

file_open_default_folder working_directory

in your load point config.pro

2. Ensure your environmental path settings for both system and user
ONLY point to one install of Pro/E (quick check is to type "path"
in a DOS box)

3. Trail files should ALWAYS be written to a local hard drive e.g.
C:\temp and ensure that all users have full read/write access to this
folder. Same goes for regen directories and temporary plot folders.

4. Pro/E is not certified for running on the bolloxy FAT32. Convert the file system to NTFS

5. The "start in" directory in the Pro/E shortcut should point to the
location of your user config.pro. You MUST have full read/write
access to this folder and I strongly recommend AGAINST starting in My
Documents. The average user's "My Documents" is full of sh*t put there
by every other installed application If you want one icon for several
users to start in their own
folders make the "start in" path along the lines of J:\MCAD\%username%
and have your corresponding folders named according to you login
username.

6. Pro/E can be made to start reliably anywhere. From personal
experience, it doesn't matter whether the OS is on C or D, ProE can be
on ANY partition, and the working files can be on ANY partition
independant of where the OS and ProE are. Any problems are the result
of mistakes in your configuration.

7. Having your files on a server instead of locally will ensure that
Pro/E runs SLOWLY. The resulting performance varies from bad to bloody
awful.

8. Do NOT start Pro/E by double clicking on a file. This is a bloody
stupid idea purely required for M$ Windows compliance. It "sort of works"
for parts but will hardly ever work for higher level files because of
search path issues. I have even taken the time to write a batch file to
change the registry settings to prevent ProE from starting by
accidentally double clicking on a Pro/E filetype.

DB

Edited by: Dell_Boy

I have written a batch program to ensure that double-clicking on a ProE file opens correctly.

batch file run.bat - saved in C:\Program Files\proeWildfire 2.0\bin\

@echo off
cd \Wildfire
this is the directory I have my config.pro, config.win, etc - primary working directory
"C:\Program Files\proeWildfire 2.0\bin\proe.exe" %*

In the file types, set the Open with PROENGINEER from

"C:\Program Files\proeWildfire 2.0\bin\proe.exe" "%1" to

"C:\Program Files\proeWildfire 2.0\bin\run.bat" "%1"

This opens ProE in your default working directory, changes the directory (not the working directory)to the one in which you double-clicked the file &opens the file.

This is working correctly on my machine, so I can open any file from windows explorer.

I hate to bring back an old thread, but I have tried the above method and loved it. It allowed me to only have a search.pro file in each assembly directory and then to have ProE find all parts and sub-assemblies every single time. I even did this with master assemblies that had 10+ subs and 1000+ part files and it worked like a charm. This eliminated the old hunt and redirect proe for files that I had done previously. Just wanted to say thanks for the tip.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back