Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Session License Was Downgraded!

dan_moran

I started a session of Pro/E with the Flex3c license, but after some time and inactivity, I discovered it was "downgraded" to a Foundation license. How can that be and how can I avoid it happening again?

We only have the two floating licenses here and being the power-user, I have my setup set to pull the Flex3c first. I've tried to set up other users' PCs to pull the Foundation license first but I may have missed some.

Thanks in advance for your help and insights.

Dan

When you have a long period of inactivity your license will be freed by the license manager. When you continue working ProE will take the license back again, unless someone else has taken that flex license in the mean time. Then proE can only take the foundation for you.

Thanks for the response, Zestje. I had a feeling that is what happened but couldn't find anything in the documentation. Is there a somewhere I can set the length of inactivity or at least know how long before my license is "up for grabs"?

I have the config option "suppress_license_loss_dialog" set to yes, but it seems that it wouldn't do any good to show these notices because it only notifies me when the license has been regained. I'd rather have a notice telling me I'm about to loose my license if I don't do something.

Although I am not aware of any way to have Flexnet generate a message warning you when you are about to lose a license, there is another way to make sure you only get the license you want.

I usually create one launch command (through ptcsetup) for each license type instead of putting them both in the same command. Then, if the license times out, it will only try to regain that license.

The drawback is that if the license is not available, you will have to exit and launch the other command. However, if you need the one set of functionality as you mention in the initial post, it does solve the problem.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back