Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Saving off an assy from a Simp Rep

joeb

Is there a way to save off a stand alone assy from a Simplified Rep?

For example, I have a large assy with many simplified reps. I want to opena rep and "save" it so that it is it's own assy. The reason for this is to make the file smaller and easier to work with.

you could just open a rep up directly and then filter your
model tree to only show active components. This would
reduce workload on the computer.

You can also change your on demand settings found in Tools-
>Assembly settings-> on demand.

bfairhurst said:
Select the rep you want to have a copy
of from the view manager, select edit and copy as external.

That doesnt make it a separate assembly, it is still as
simplified rep (child of the main assembly), but gives you
a direct way of opening the rep.

Very similar to customizing your on demand settings and
working that way.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

I didn't quite state why I wanted to "save" a stand-alone copy of a simp rep. Other CAD users are going to open the simp rep to review just those parts shown, and I wanted to make it as simple as possible.

I copied it as external and that seemed to work ok for me. The only benefit that I could see is that it eliminates someone having to be careful to open a big assy using a rep, or having to select the right rep. So, that was ok.

As far as the on demand assembly settings, I didn't try that because I'm not sure what all the options mean, quite frankly. Any quick facts about that?

So until I hear compliants from the other users that open up the external rep, I guess I'm done with this task.

Thanks again for the replies...

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back