Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Saving flat states

geertdaenen

Since we're using ProE (for more then 5 years), we always have the problem that when we change a (sheet metal) part with a flat state and save it, we have to wait sometimes for more than one minute.
But sometimes we don't have to wait that long.

Does anybody have the same problem and does anybody know the solution for this problem?

Kind regards

I cannot say I have noticed this problem and we have been using Pro/E since 1995. The only thing I can think of is the long saves are due to a complex part. Or, many external references such as copygeoms or inheritances.

Jim

Sometimes it even takes a long time to save an easy part (one bend and one hole). So I don't think it is about the complexity of our parts.

We are using 4 pc's with ProE Wf3, and all the pc's are having the same problem.

Kind regards

Hi geertdaenen,

I remember where I used to work, I was the only guy on Proe, and I was just working away with the files stored on my computer.Then a few more users came online, not with intralink, but with search paths. The files were put on a separate server. After the switch, it seemed to take forever to load files, and assemblies really took a long time.

I don't know exactly what caused it, but we thought it was the networking that slowed us down.

Sip

That is very strange. Do you have the same problems when doing solid parts (ie - non-sheet metal)? The only thing I can think of is maybe you are saving to a networked drive or pulling resources from one. hat could cause lag. I never experienced this problem on simple parts. Sorry I cannot be of more help.

Jim

We don't have the problem with solid parts or with sheetmetal parts without a flat state. Sometimes we don't have the problem with flatstates, but most of the time we do have this problem.

At this moment we are using searchpads and we are using 4 pc's on one server (without intralink). But we are thinking of installing Windchill. I hope this will help us.

Are you running Pro remotely, as in installation on a server? I know this can cause lag, but you would experience this all of the time.

Try creating an unbend all in your part manually and manually add a family table instance with this feature. Then suppress it in the generic. See if the long save happens when you do this. This would at least let you know if it is a specific problem with a flat state.

Another thought is, see if you are using a config.pro option that relates to flat states or family tables. A flat state is simply a family table instance with an unbend. The only thing that makes it special is it keeps the unbend at the end of the model tree. Maybe you are verifying the family table on saves or something like that. That could explain the slowdown.

one final thought. Try creating a family table instance of a solid part and see if there is a slowdown. It may be that you haven't created family table instances and are only doing it when creating a flat state. If the slowdown occurs on other parts that use family tables, that might help pinpoint your problem.

Sorry this isn't great info. But this is all I can think of.
Jim

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back