Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Reverse engineering - software

BojLap

We are planning to get
a measuring arm with laser scanner.

Within the arms we are
deciding between:

FARO,
ROMER, BACES & Microscribe

First three are having
higher accuracy and last one lover (according to accuracy it is there price).

We will make decision
about arm according to price and conditions.

But what about
software?

Have anyone any
experience with programs:

Geomagic, PolyWorks,
Delcam (CopyCAD), Pointmaster or
3dreshaper?

I do not have any
experience with such programs, so I would like to hear yours opinion about them.

Thanks everyone in
advance

Ithink there is a module in ProE called Restyle that is supposed to be a reverse engineering solution. I might be wrong though

I worked in this field for many years and found that there is a lot of software with their own uniqueness and all have their benefits and pitfalls.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

If you want to create totally freeform solid models from laser scan data Paraform from Metris is brilliant. Also you should look at Metris scanning arms and scanners. They in my opinionhave the best software but hardware wise no one beats GOM.

However the big problem with all these software platform is that they are non-parametric and do not create an object tree of features I.E your model is only as good as your scan data. Therefore for engineering applications PRO E Re-style is certainly the best software platform along with CATIA of course!!!
Edited by: downesj1

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back