Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Resulting Geometry Not Valid for Trim

SW

I've got few curves on surface features in Wildfire 4 Style that I'm using to trim a surface. When I adjust the curves as required, the trim feature fails reporting "Resulting Geometry Not Valid for Trim".

Here is the successful trimming curve (in a dirty orange colour)

And the re-shaped curve that causes the feature to fail:

Does anyone know why the alteration causes a failure and what I can do to stop it?

Thank you,

Sam

Edited by: SW

make sure the curves are connected end to end, are snapped to surface edges at the other end and are not crossing each other.

Edited by: solidworm

Thanks. Yes, the curves are still connected as far as I can tell, the only thing I change when the error occurs is the length of the curvature constraint on the curve.

have you tried tightening the accuracy? i have seen cases which tweaking the accuracy, resolves the issue.

i tried to replicate your case. i didn't have that problem. can you upload the part?

Edited by: solidworm

Thanks, for the suggestion. I tried increasing the relative accuracy from 0.0006 to 0.0003, and the trim failed without any modification. Increasing the accuracy further to the maximum 0.0001 didn't cause a regeneration failure but removed some surfaces from the quilt, even though I'm not specifying any portions to delete.

Unfortunately, I can't upload the part for confidentiality reasons, but here is an image of the missing surfaces.

I may not have explained things very well...

I had already created a smooth, rounded cap on the surface by using the standard method of trimming within a style feature to create a four sided surface (with a little help from Solidworm and others in a previous topic).

I now want to trim this surface to create the two separate quilts shown below that are copied to parts which make up an assembly.

The trim works as shown in the image, but the problem is that the trimming curve-on-surface between the quilts is poor, and needs to be smoothed and extended backwards, similar to that shown below.

However, the trim now fails. If increase the accuracy, it gives me that strange broken surface.

Sam

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back