Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Reordering BOM and grouping parts

Peterhh

I would like to ask the wisdom of the forum. I would like to build a BOM on a drawing verymuch like it appears in the model tree but grouping the hardware for any given piece just after it. I know I can do this using no duplicates and each and every instance of a part shows up in the BOM with a quanity of 1. Is it possible to group identical parts (screws, nuts etc) like this.

1 of Part A
3 of Screw B
2 of nut C
1 of part D
5 of Screw B
5 of Nut C
1 of Part E
17 of Screw B

Creo 2.0
Build m020

Thanks in advance
Peterh

To re-order, use fix index.
In order to show as you have, create an indented repeat region.

Last edited:
I think I have to explain another way. All the parts and screws are in the top assembly, these are the screws that attache the part onto the main assembly. So you would take a part and attach it with 3 screw "b"s. You would then take the next part and might use 7 screw "B"s to attach it. In the BOM I would like to show Screw "B" quantity 3 then the next part then Screw "B" quantity 7. Not just Screw "B" quantity 10.
Peterh

Why don't you leave the full quantity in the BOM and then use split balloons to indicate which quantity goes to what assembly? That's typically what I've seen on the old drawings of equipment in our plant. Not saying it's right or wrong just what I've seen.

This way also if someone is kitting the assembly they don't grab 3 "B"s then have to go back later on and grab 7 more "B"s.

I should have thought of that. I seem to remember now, that was a standard way to do this "way back in the day". I was trying to make this process parametric so it would update automaticly when the assembly changed. Good point about going back for 7 more. Here they are given the hardware list from Oracle but I would like the Creo drawings to facilitate the assembly process. I know, getting the same information from two different sources is just asking for trouble but these are the tools they gave us to work with here.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back