Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

RENAMING CAD FILES

Dick_S

I am in the process of moving 1000's of files from a network directory. We model O-rings for each application, with different geometry to match O-ring grooves. Now I need to rename files so that each file has a unique name because Windchill requires it. We do not want to take out new P/N's for each configuration and we don't use family tables. Wildfire 5.0 and WC 10.0

Any suggestions?

I usually name my PARTs so that the prefix contains a portion of the top assembly number, and the postfix contains the part number. usually separated by an underscore or dash:

"TOPASSEMBLY_ORINGPARTNUMBER_01"

"TOPASSEMBLY_COUPLINGNUT"

The reason for this is so that when doing a search, you can easily see what the PART is used on, and it makes each one unique. The same o-ring might be used multiple times in the same assy, but each has different geometry. The DRAWING I will name only "TOPASSEMBLY"

I have seen others make their o-ring "variable" so that it will conform to each different groove dia.. Then you will only have one solid model instead of thousands.

I choose to leave the o-ring over-lapping the mating surfaces. Similar to omitting a helical thread for cosmetic purposes.

Once you enter the parts into your file_management_system (we use intralink) only rename them INSIDE the system, and not from the workspace. Otherwiseassemblies crash, stuff wont check-in, etc. It gets very hard to sort it all out later. Perhaps windchill is similar?

Good luck,

Dan

The way that we got around this was to have a parameter called model_name, with a relation for most parts being model_name=rel_model_name.

The BOM calls out the parameter, rather than the part name - this allows us to use different CAD model names, but keep the correct part for ordering puposes.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back