Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

release drawings

oldman

I have drawings and models in one directory. The drawings have been released for production. Now I want to move only the drawings to a new directory without the models. When I try to open the drawings in the new directory. Of course, I can't because the models and parts are in a different directory. How?

I would always keep the models with the drawings as the twoneed to stay linked for future revisions. WithoutPDM software such as Intralink, it's a little tougher but theyshould still be kept together. You could designate a drive or folder as read only and place all released models and drawigns there. For revisions, copy the model/drawing to the working folder and save as the next revision. As I said before, this is a bit cumbersome and risky without PDM software, but witha fewusers and one person managing it, it could work in a relatively small, unregulatedenvironment.

oldman,

suggestion:

A) Keep your 3d parts and 2d drawings together always
B) Make a design directory with all of your files and a release directory with only copies of the drawings and parts actually released.
C) Make a copy of the released version drawing and place it in the "released" folder with a copy of the 3d part when the drawing is made. Do not modify these files.
D) When a new revision comes up make another new drawing from the file in your design directory and a copy of the part and place that in your "released" directory.

In this way you update with a snapshot of the part and drawing at the time of revision.
I do this by generating a PDF of the drawing and storing that in my released directory and that is the 2d I issue with part release.

If you really must seperate the drawing from the 3d file then set up the 3d parts location in your search.pro file so pro-e can find the part back.

cheers,

M

Magneplaner

Thank you for the help. This sounds like what I want to do. Although yesterday, I made a new folder for my release drawings and a folder for my models. When I open the drawing, which I can sometimes and then close it, the next time I go into the release drawing folder. I have all the assemblies all of a sudden in the same folder. So I move them to the model folder and the next time I open the drawing, copies of the assemblies are there again.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back