Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

read parameter model without Proe

vpapa

Hello everyone,
smiley1.gif

I have an urgent need to find a way to read \ write parameters in proe files without using proe.
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif

Possible that there is no way?
Any suggestion is welcome, it's just the file structure proe, or an ActiveX or two lines of code c.
smiley9.gif

Thank you,
Vincenzo.

This is not possible unless you can decrypt the Pro/ENGINEER file. I don't think PTC will give you the algorithm to do this
smiley2.gif

Hi,

There is a way for this issue. Try opening pro/e in non graphic mode and open that particular model, export is parameter list to text file or something and u'll have all parameter.

Regards,
Amit

Hi vpapa,

Sorry for kidding, do you have Intra link / Wind chill
and are you willing to use Intra link / Wind chill? If
yes, there is a possibility of designating those
parameters of models in Intra link / Wind chill and
pulling out its value. I am not sure if it has Wind chill
exact functionality but something similar should be
there. Apart for this there is no way you can pull out
parameters without opening pro/e.

Thanks,
Amit

<DIV id=result_ dir=ltr>Hello Amit,
my problem is simple: I was responsible for CAD development of a direct competitor of PTC PLM
is a bit we're trying to retrieve the parameters from file proe, and we realized that the files were encrypted just for commercial reasons.
Thanks for your answer, sooner or later be able to decrypt it.

Regards,
Vincenzo.
</DIV>

Hey,

If you are on a windows system the Pro/E files are in ASCII format. The majority of the file is encrypted aswilliaps noted, however the parameters are part of the file header, which is not encyrpted. You can use a variety of ways to manipulate those parameters using various tools. I have used batch files to sort parts based upon which parameters they contain. I suppose you could use the same technique to read and write to the parts and assemblies.

Open up the parts or assemblies in wordpad and start reading from the top. You'll see PDM system info at the top and some other stuff and as you move downward you'll start to see the parameter names and their values. Here is a snippet from a part I have:

3 26 PART_NUMBER

3 27

4 28 51

4 29 TBD

3 30 -1

3 31 -1

2 21 ->

3 22 1

3 23 0

3 24 0

3 25 0

The parameter is PART NUMBER and it's value is TBD. You can change the value of the parameter and you are not likely to upset Pro/E, however I would be reluctant to change the name of the parameter this way until you test it.

Just make sure you are not working to the only version of the files as your manipulation could corrupt them if you are not careful. We used to use techniques like this long ago when we were stuck on the road with laptops that could not run Pro/E or the larger models very well, so this is a really bad stop gap technique that gets the job done, but I would encourage you to just buy a seat of Pro/E and a computer that will be able to manipulate your models.

Good luck!

Hello barnlogic<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

I can certainly read the parameter value using this method, but could not change or create a new one.

There appears to be a one more place within the encrypted model parameter name and value seems to appear.

I am able to search it, but know of hesitant to change it and also I think it would be difficult to change it programmatically.

Any thoughts? Or is there any other way of doing it. (Without opening ProE)

Thank you
Nanda

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back