Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Radii Center Marks

FredGarvin

Hey everyone.

I am sure that this has been asked but I couldn't find anything with the search function...

In drawings, I want to show the center marks for radii (rounds) and some revolved features (like an undercut for example). I have tried a few different things but can not get an axis to show where the center mark would be. The way I have been doing it looks incredibly cheesy and I don't like it.

Anyone have an idea on how to do it? Thanks!

You need to create an axis in the modelfor each of the rounds you want to show marks for in the drawing. There is a config option to create axies for all arcs in a section (not just full circles), show_ases_for_extr_arcs. Or you can create an axis point in the section where you want one to show. All revolved features should have an axis created already. You need to show the axes using the show/erase function.

Another option you could look at for the revolved cuts (I find this very handy for slots as well) is to Sketch>-Axis Point in your sketch. This axis can then be Show/Erase'd in you drawing.

Rounds however will need an axis assembled as per PRStockhausen's post

Kev

Axis points can only be added to sketchs for extruded features. This is for internal sketches of the feature, external sketches do not have that option available. In revolved sketches the first centerline you sketch is the axis of revolution.

Thanks for the replies.

I see the axis point is indeed only for extruded features. It's good to know anyways. I have never used it.

What I have to do a lot is to have radii revolved features that are some distance from the rotational centerline/axis. The centerline that the feature revolves around getting shown is not an issue. The center of the radii itself is what I want to show.

I'll try the show_axes_... config option that PRStockhausen referenced.

I am amazed that something so simple in a 2D package is such a pain here.

Thanks again for the feedback. If you think of anything else, please mention it.

I tried the config option mentioned and it didn't seem to work for me.

Just to make sure everyone understands what I am trying to do, here is a detail view of a relief cut on a shaft:

poinstruction4520071259tr0.jpg

The two radius center marks I added with a 2D CAD. Those are the beasts I am desperately trying to add to my Pro-E drawings. I have tried adding datum points and draft entities, but nothing really works.

don't think you can do such a thing with a dtl or config option.

I think you're best chance of doing that is to create a point and a axis in the center of that arc.

Create a point sketched on the front plane of that revolve. Constrain it to be in the center of the arc. Then create a axis thru that point and perpendicular to the sketched plane. Then show this axis in drawing.

It's a workaround but I don't think you could do it other way.

Thanks Vlad. I hadn't thought of that. It's the best workaround I have come across yet. It sure beats doing draft features. Thanks again.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back