Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Rack & Pinion Assembly

retrospect1984

Hello to all,

I'm sorry if I do not properly define what I'm looking for, but I'll do my best, I'm a pro E amateur.

I've modelled (2) parts; a pinion and a rack.

I want the pinion to rotate about its center (so only rotate 1 DOF, fixed about the rest) and I want to be able to translate the rack (again only 1 DOF) about the pinion.

Am I clear? If so, how do I go about this?

Thanks, Josh

I dont know how much u know about assy in pro. Actually in the assy module, u can assemble the components by two methods, one is called constraints and another is by connections. in ur case, u must use connections and there is a connection available in mechanism that called gears. u will use rack & pinion type. If u need tutorial just go to www.sharptechdesign.com and you can find it.

Hi thanks for the tutorial... I have made some progress, but am still having a bit of problems. I have connected the pinion to spin about a point, and also the rack along a plane (located on the pitch circle) which is exactly what I need to do.

I went into the mechanism called gears and chose rack & pinion. Selected where things rotate or translate about.

My problem...

is there a way to set the pinion to stay stationary until the rack hits and meshes with it, because as it is right now, they both move as i slide the rack, even if it isnt meshing with it (this also creates a problem because they are not positioned correctly at a intial position for proper meshing... I can see the teeth run slightly through one another)

So can I either make the pinion stationary until I move the rack over it and it meshes and rotates? (*seems easiest) or do I have to set up an intial position for the rack (say a point on both teeth on the pitch circle)... If so I dumbfounded either way. Please help

Thanks Josh

If both parts are designed properly then u hold CTRL+ALT for the manual movement of other part

If the problem iis of PITCH MATCHING

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back