Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

pyramid unbend

jeff toff

Hi All,

Can someone please help out with unbending a pyramid lid that we have. The angle of the pyramid is 5 degrees. Then I have 4 walls off to be vertical. I can not get it to unbend for the flat pattern.

Jeff Toff

just taking a stab here. the top is being seen as 4 sides, not one. having the file would be better to work from.

depending on how it was created would determine if it can be done. Was the pyramid created using the die/punch, or was it chopped to shape, and then shelled?

Hi Dewme5,

All of the above & sheetmetal blend, we are still stumped as to why we can not unbend this shape.

Jeff

SZIFO

You did by shelling the solid part (i.e Conversion of solid to sheetmetal part). Try to do it by sheetmetal blend.
Edited by: Asho Pulsar

jeff toff said:
Hi Dewme5,

All of the above & sheetmetal blend, we are still stumped as to why we can not unbend this shape.

Jeff

How did u built four flanges around the sheetmetal blend? I did first wall as sheetmetal blend with two sections (rectangle and point). Afterwards i tried to create a extruded flange around first wall, proe not letting me to pick the edge.

I tried to create a flat flange wall around.I can able to pick the edge, but the shape is not coming on the edge which i selected.

Whether i need to create any mutually perpendicular planes for four inclination surfaces to create flanges around.

Hi SZIFO

Thanks for your part, it does work. You showed us a couple of things we did not think of. We did not think about doing two stage unbend which seems to be the trick to getting it to unbend.

Jeff Toff

It does unbend but that does not mean it is right. This part is symmetric in the bent state. Is it not logical to think it would be symmetric in the flat state?

I would not expect Pro/E to be able to unbend this part unless a form was used to create the pyramid.

Asho Pulsar

part for you
smiley1.gif

WF 3.0

2008-04-02_115502_pyramid_sm.prt.rar

dr_gallup said:
It does unbend but that does not mean it is right. This part is symmetric in the bent state. Is it not logical to think it would be symmetric in the flat state?

I would not expect Pro/E to be able to unbend this part unless a form was used to create the pyramid.

But we should think of dr_gallups post too. Pro-E hasnt given the correct unbend for that pyramid. Look at the picture below...

The area which i have shown as extra material that would share all the diagnolsi guess. I have created the plane on the flat surface and set a separate view as flat so as to set in the drawing.

I am thinking of practically how it is possible to manufacture? Either a big form tool or what?
smiley11.gif
You can say nothing is impossible.
smiley2.gif

If you would choose a big form tool think aboutthe expences for manufacturing the tool and doing such a big operation!!! Do i making any senseless? Please come up with some good idea.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back