Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Punch Into Cylinder Won’t Work

verge

Why won't this work? I'm trying to punch a form into the side of a cylinder.

The error message I receive is "Can not construct feature geometry". The radii on the punch are larger than the thickness of the material.

Interesting. I have never tried a punch on a non-flat surface before. Has this worked for you in the past? What are you using for "seed surface" and "boundaryplane"? What does the form part look like?

Can you make the cylinder wall plus punch feature in the same form operation? That may be how it's actually made anyway.

Verge,

When you were using the form feature which I assume you used as a punch, did you try changing the 'side' option? I managed to create what you are doing without any difficulty but it does throw up an error if you select the wrong side.

Try that and see if it works.

To answer your questions:

Jon: I have not tried to do this on a non-flat surface before. I don't remember being prompted for "seed surface" or "boundary plane".

Adam: I haven't tried to make the wall plus punch feature in the same form operation. Actually, the part as sold will not have "dimples" in it; this will be done in the field using a special tool, part of which is a punch similar to the one I've created.

Michael: I did try changing the side option, and it didn't solve the problem. I must be doing something else wrong. Are you willing to throw in a step-by-step to show how you achieved this?

I was attempting this in order to illustrate an assembly for our patent attorney. In the end, I simply created what I needed in the standard application using extrudes and revolves. Not as much fun, but it worked. I would still like to know how to do this, as it may come in handy in the future.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Verge,

Of course I will:

I created a sheet metal part with a round

Then I created a form tool like you showed in your image

After that I simply used the form tool feature and used the form tool as a punch to create the feature.

I've attached the part and it's form tool below. Hopefully that will explain it better than I did
smiley9.gif

2009-09-10_090439_Form.zip

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back