Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

PTC, What a great company (NOT)

biff

I have been a PTC customer some 8 years now and an episode this week has just confirmed to myself at what a poor inflexible company PTC are.

I needed a licence of Intralink 3.4 for a period of 3 weeks to check work in and out at a customers.

I approached my re sellers to ask the question as to whether I could use one or loan one................guess what, if I want a seat then I have to buy one. (PTC's words)

PTC customer orientated.................I don't think so, They are rubbish.
smiley7.gif

Anyone thinking of buying PRO/E and want good customer support then move on and try another system.

don't get resellers mixed up with PTC.... Plus they are in the business of selling software. Thats your leverage. My suggestion is if you need to buy an upgrade to the next version and you need a little of 3.4 for a month they would accommodate you.

Really,

yeh i'm gunna upgrade further for a matter of 3 weeks use.

I have current maintenance.

It's called customer service, having been a customer for 8 years i'm all to aware of the difference between PTC and re-sellers and my re-seller has helped me out in the past with other issues.

PTC claim to have "on demand" PLM. I've never understood the concept but perhaps your customer (who must have Intralink) can use it to give you access for a period of weeks or months?

PLM On Demand

Movies - Played from your DVD player

Movies on Demand - Movies hosted by your cable provider

PLM - Database hosted in house

PLM on Demand - Database hosted by IBM

Shouldn't it be your customer who supplies the license, since they are the ones who have Intralink and would like you to do work for them?

That said, PTC has always been about the $$. I've been a pretty loyal customer for 14 years and it hasn't changed much.

I have to agree with scubadude, if your customer has a requirement that you check in and out of their system, they should be providing you with the means to do it.

I also wonder how much pain you'd have to go through to get Intralink set up to access their system for 3-4 weeks of use.

Frankly I don't blame PTC at all in this. I'm assuming that you don't own Intralink or any Windchill product now. What you're saying to them is that you now need extra software, but only for a few weeks. Can I get it for free? I'd say no too.

It's like buying a small Chevy Cobalt and then going back to the dealer to see if you can borrow a full size truck one weekend when you want to move mulch. It's only one weekend and I've been buying cars from you for years, what's the big deal?

Now, a good VAR that values your business might find a work around for you, but freee software is an unreasonable request.

It is a bit cheeky asking for a freebie of that magnitude, worth a go tho!
smiley36.gif

I do partly understand your frustrations though, if you have had 8 years commitment to a particular company and they dont offer you a helping hand.

I have been using HSBC bank in the UK now for 20 years !!! I went to visit them to discuss changing my Mortgage Rate to the new one that was advertised in all of thier Retail Windows... :

Skint - " Hi Mr Bank Manager. Can I change my mortgage to that one please "

Mr.B.M - " Hello Skint, No you Cant ! "

Skint - " Oh and Why is that ? "

Mr.B.M - " Because thats for New customers only "

Skint - " Oh, so my 20 years with you counts for nothing "

Mr.B.M - " Yep your right, it counts for nothing, now bugger off "
smiley36.gif

It is frustrating. Its the way of the world !

Skint,

Seen those ads for Nationwide with the big fat ba****d behind a desk laughing at a customer asking for an account that doesn't sc*ew you..... sound like PTC in any manner?

Kev

prohammy said:
Skint,

Seen those ads for Nationwide with the big fat ba****d behind a desk laughing at a customer asking for an account that doesn't sc*ew you..... sound like PTC in any manner?

Kev

smiley36.gif
Spot On mate. That big fat ba****d sold me Pro-e a couple of years ago I think !

Yes,<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

But we deliver products that are complete and fully functional. With complete user guides, No maintenance, 10 year warranty,...

No paying extra for maintenance, extra modules, online help, ....

vercoutter@duco said:
Yes,<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>

But we deliver products that are complete and fully functional. With complete user guides, No maintenance, 10 year warranty,...<O:p></O:p>

No paying extra for maintenance, extra modules, online help, ....

Thats a fairly good point lol. Y`know, buy a new mercedes benz for

I thought we are all about money. Without money I can't hit the race track. With more money I can go to the race track more often.

design-engine said:
I thought we are all about money. Without money I can't hit the race track. With more money I can go to the race track more often.

Spend enough time at the racetrack and having money will become less and less of a problem for you. Guys wanting to hack away at your kneecaps may become an issue however.

Kev

vercoutter@duco said:
Dear all,

PTC is all about money !!! And it will never change !!

Well, there are CAD companies around - even in Belgium - that are less obvious about this fact. And they may well be able to offer everything you need. You're not married to a CAD-system. Divorcing will always be something of a pain but - like in human affairs - you can end up luckier than you were.

If you're so unhappy, it's time to look around.

Alex

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back