Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

PTC for sale?

I'd like a piece of it. I see4 separate companies in there that can be sold off for more than the sum of their parts: CAD, PLM, engineering calculation, document management. This has been a long time coming.

I alsowonder if there will be any sale at allin the current crappy credit environment. Private equity looks less likely in the near future. Autodesk, anyone? They'll definitely be selling at the top. The stock price has been on a recent run. Inside information?
Edited by: mgnt8

I started a thread a while ago about a PTC / Autodesk collaberation. Maybe this is just what Autodesk were hoping for !!

at least(after Autodesk aquired PTC) the products names in the long scope of time are going to be more predictable

Pro/E 2011, Pro/E 2012, Pro/2013, etc

second - maybe costs(pirces) will come down to Autocad standars?

smiley4.gif
smiley4.gif
smiley4.gif
smiley4.gif
smiley4.gif
smiley4.gif
smiley4.gif
smiley4.gif
smiley4.gif
smiley4.gif

mgnt8 said:
I'd like a piece of it. I see4 separate companies in there that can be sold off for more than the sum of their parts: CAD, PLM, engineering calculation, document management.

That would likely be a disaster to those companies that bought into PTC's 'one source of truth' PDS thing, which I thought was/is a good idea.

I think PTCs a mess in some ways, but a potential sale makes me nervous.

Autodesk is where code goes to die.

Autodesk's 3D MCAD history in a nutshell:
http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6020390

This is Autodesk Manufacturing Solutions speaking:
"We have attempted to provide some relive by ensuring that our save as SAT files are all compatible. All recent versions (last 5 or 6 years) of Inventor save a rev7 sat file."
http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?threadID=662857
(http://au.autodesk.com/profile/schneik80/)

Will PTC's heavy industry (aerospace, defense, transportation, etc.) customers want to see such an acquistion? Will Dassault and Siemens? ;)

Talk of sale makes me uneasy.Autodesk seamed to do a good job with The Alias Studio and Maya recent releases. It seams to me that PTC is an A-LIST software with only the best and top manufacturers investing heavy into the PMTC tools.I really don't think anyone company could measure up... except for Google.Read my post on design engine.

http://www.design-engine.com/news.php?news=112
Edited by: design-engine

My Pro-E license subscription is up for renewal (Pro-E base & ISDX), and I am wondering if I should hold off until the PTC sale, or renew before the PTC sale. What are the Pro & Cons? Would it be possibly be a lower

maintenance

cost if I wait?

As most of my clients are now SolidWorks (~75%), I am not in a hurry to jump to Wildfire 4.0 unless a good opportunity comes along and it is profitable. I try to find the best opportunties that will permit me to work mostly from my city in Ohio.

My guess is this is to benefit the executives at the top. These links provide some interesting information: No Surprise--PTC Up For SaleParametric Technology awards top execs extra $1.9 million in change in control bonusesI am not too worried, as I am currently busy working with clients that have requested their projects be completed in SolidWorks.

Edited by: c_thompson_68

How about sell Windchill to Autodesk - theycan try to ignore PLM all they want but how long can they swim against the tide?

Sell Wildfire to Adobe. They've been slowly creeping into 3D and this could solidfy their place in the sector.

Sell the other stuff to some sovereign wealth fundin Dubai or India to help finance the deal.

I never used it but I was under the impression that Macromedia was killing it slowly anyway because they were more focused on web design.Then withAdobe Illustrator its demise became faitaccompli.

Anyhow, all the more reason why we Users want a company with no other CAD program to take Wildfire. And lets face it, Pro/E hasn't exactly been at the top of the pecking order at the ivory tower in Needham for some time.

Like the old saying goes, this is business, not personal.
Edited by: mgnt8

I'm having difficulty understanding the strategy here.

Recent Acquisitions:

CoCreate
NC/Graphics
MathCAD
Itedo

Perhaps all those purcchases were just so many customer lists that can be added to existing PTC Windchill, Arbortext and Pro/E customer lists and that makes a revenue stream that some corporate entity might want to purchase.

Sucks to be us.

I'm at WF 4 Enterprise SE and my maintenance is up in two weeks. I'll probably sit this out until at least I get a look at WF 5.0 to see if the interface makeover is complete and/or PTC picks up a buyer.

Either way, most of my customers are using SW, so that made me a SW user (hopefully 2009 is bug free) and I'll adapt as required.

UGS NX 6 on OSX is looking better all the time.

I am not sure if waiting til this thing is over is a good idea. These kind of things can take forever and that is if they happen at all......

Since I don't have permission to post this where it belongs, I'm putting it here. How about showing the latest posts first instead of having to scroll through everything we've read before to get to the latest posting.

Don't forget the reverse stock split a few years ago to pump up their EPS. Even with all these tricksthe stock is only like half what is was during the irrational exuburance era.

It's business. Companies are bought and sold every day...

It's anyones guess what'll happen with the software.

It'll be hell around here if we had to switch software!

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back