Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

PTC Database

wallym

Hi

I'm new to this forum and have what might be a few dumb questions, but here goes anyway.

What is the difference between Windchill and PDMLink and any of the other PTC PDM names that I hear about on this forum. It seems that some of them are used interchangeably and others are distinctly different.

Another question is, I know back in the old days I think it was called Pro/PDM used an Oracle database. Do they still use an Oracle database for the new PDM programs?

Thank you for the help

Wally

Wally,

From what I understand, Pro/PDM was replaced by Pro/Intralink which was"replaced" with PDMLink.

PDMLink is built on top of Windchill. Think of Windchill being the underlying technology, powerful but hard to use. PDMLink and the other link solutions make Windchill easier to use out of the box. Then you just tweak the settings and make "relatively" small customizations. (At least when compared to starting with just Windchill.)

You can use Windchill to create your own customized PDM solution from the ground up, and some of the big companies do that to some extent.

Windchill uses either sequel or oracle as it's database, your choice, I believe.

Most of this is from what I have picked up here and there and from working with the programs, so I might have some of it wrong, but I think I have the basics correct.

Indeed, PDMLink replaced IntraLink. We have a customized system built on Windchill for all of our PDM files.

It used only Oracle running on Unix for the database, now you have the option of using MS SQL Server 2005 on a windows server for the database. File vaults could be either one.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back