Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Propeller Modeling

mnegron

Hi

I am trying to make a propeller in pro e. The thing is that I have all the dimensions(points of the airfoil inx,y and z coordinates) of the propeller in excel(there arelots of points), and I was wondering if anyone knows how to import the excel data to pro e???

Hi,

follow this one

!# pro/TABLE

210 10 0

320 20 0

430 30 0

create the first point in proe then create all the other data points in excel 2,3,4denotes the 2nd,3rd,4th and so on since you already input the first point to avoid confusion in creating the excel data. the 10,10,0 is the x,y,z points you can also create the table with only x,y data. then saveas the excel to .txt format then rename the.txt to .ptb in the explorer. Now pattern your first pointusing the table driven pattern then read the data points that you created.

Edited by: jayuy

You can also create datum points "offset from coordinate system" and select "from file". Each line in this "text" file has the XYZ coordinates for 1 point, seperated by at least 1space. There is a limit to the number of points you can have in the file. I can't remember how many you can have, but you can split the text file as many time as necessary.

First from Excel you should copy your data so it is just the points like the person above pointed out. The entire file should look like

0.21 4.56 8.46

0.321 5.26 7.56

1.23 5.41 9.45

And so on. Nothing else! Put it on a blank Text document and click the save as tab. Change the file name to something like this "points.pts" Make sure you have the quotation marks. It may ask you to save it also as a normal text file, but proE recognizes the .pts extension. (BTW this is a good way to design airfoils, because later you can go in and edit the points in proE and Reimport new Airfoil data when the design undoubtedly changes! I do it pretty often!)

How can I split a surface into multiple surfaces? I would do this a
lot in SW but haven't figured out how to do it in Pro yet. I would do
it in SW to create split draft which I can do in Pro but I have run
into a few examples where I can't get my draft to split th way I want
it. I want to try to split the surface and then add draft to the new
"seperatee" surface.

I
also used it a lot purely for cosmetic reasons where I would split a
surface and then be able to alter the color of that surface. Yes, I
can create an extrusion that is very, very small to achieve the result
now but I prefer to split the surface so that all surfaces are at the
same real level.

Thanks

Michael

michaelpaul said:
How can I split a surface into multiple surfaces? I would do this a
lot in SW but haven't figured out how to do it in Pro yet. I would do
it in SW to create split draft which I can do in Pro but I have run
into a few examples where I can't get my draft to split th way I want
it. I want to try to split the surface and then add draft to the new
"seperatee" surface.

I
also used it a lot purely for cosmetic reasons where I would split a
surface and then be able to alter the color of that surface. Yes, I
can create an extrusion that is very, very small to achieve the result
now but I prefer to split the surface so that all surfaces are at the
same real level.

Thanks

Michael

not sure why this keeps showing up in this thread. I created a new topic but it ends up in here. I'm not trying to hijack this thread. I'll try to post it again later.

thanks guys for the help
smiley2.gif

hi michaelpaul,

you can copy your surface then use trim using a curve or a plain then you can create a draft using the trimmed surface...

Jay
smiley2.gif

Good call Jay!

The easiest way to create a curve is to use the points you originally imported. I find it best to have each airfoil come in with the same number of points. You will get better surfaces, and You can later connect parallel points of the airfoil and trim the surface. If you haven't noticed, I like working with airfoils as surfaces until the loft of the propellar is finished. It will make your life much easier! You can trim the surface much more quickly and do some coloration very quickly!

can anyone help me in sending a propeller model in pro-e to my mail address so that i can complete my project.
smiley1.gif

Karri Kumar (KK)

KKPradeep said:
can anyone help me in sending a propeller model in pro-e to my mail address so that i can complete my project.
For me, accomplishing the task myself is far more satisfying than completing a project on borrowed knowledge. Think about it.

KK

Do you have a picture/image of what you are tyring to do. Maybe we could give you some guidance. If you are looking for a simple airfoil there are generic models out there but if you actually want to model the part, or have a parametric model, then you need to try it yourself for full control.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back