Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Projecting a logo onto curved surface

jdurston

Hi Gurus,

I would like to take our company logo and project it onto a curved surface and then offset it to give it a thickness.

I have no problem doing this on a flat surface.

I have scalable sketch of our company logo.

I can actually get the sketch (curve) to project onto the surface, but I can't get it to fill for me to offset it and thicken it.

I can also fill the sketch to make a surface, but I can't get it to project onto the curved surface.

I am thinking that I am using the wrong approach. Please point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

JD

you can project an imported IGES file of your logo onto a surface.... Be careful if you plan on placing an actual sticker onto a surface if you will require to get a hair dryer out for compound complex curvature of a surface. Things distort. You should only be placing logo geometry onto a ruled surface or one that is un-foldable in one direction such as a light pole or flag pole.

Here's the curve which projected fine.

Here is the surface floating on a plane in front of the bin and the curve already projected. Can't get the surface to project onto the curved surface and I can't fill the projected curve.

The goal is to emboss the logo in the plastic so it has raised lettering.
Edited by: jdurston

Its probably an accuracy issue. Workaround - 1) offset a surface from original wall the desired depth. 2) extrude logo either to selected original wall or thru next, whichever works best 3) solidify using offset surface to cut away excess.

Thanks to PTC Tech Support, I got an answer.

Offset the surface that I'm going to:

Use "Expand Feature"; Under "Options" select "Sketched Region"; Edit, create an sketch on an offset plane (I imported my sec file here)

This worked great. So, with the offset sketch plane, it only took one other feature. (Offset plane could have been asynchronous probably.)

See result below.

Edited by: jdurston

I guess "expand" feature is the answer to Solidworks "WRAP" feature tool, except more complex and you need maintance to find a solution. OOPS Thats PTC for you. It's a love hate thing. Only if DDS, PTC & Autodesk would combine we would have the ultimate solid/surfacing modeling software ever.

Cheers...

Solidworks (2007-2010 ) examples from sketch, dxf or dwg to surface. (easy)

Deboss(extrude-remove)

Emboss (extrude)

Scribe(Project)

Late post, I couldn't sleep.

Dynamica said:
I guess "expand" feature is the answer to Solidworks "WRAP" feature tool, except more complex and you need maintance to find a solution. OOPS Thats PTC for you. It's a love hate thing. Only if DDS, PTC & Autodesk would combine we would have the ultimate solid/surfacing modeling software ever.

Offset > Expand has been around since at least Wildfire was introduced in 2003. I don't think it was an answer to any SW feature, but I could be wrong. In Pro/E, select surface, select Expand, create sketch. Pretty straightforward. Please explain how SW does it better/easier.

I wonder if you could do this pre-WF, because someone told me that you could do it via the tweak menu. Pro has a "Wrap" function and a "Project" function. I am guesing the "wrap" function would be more analogous to the SW function. The Project function is more of a linear projection from a plane, and the wrap, wraps the surface around the surface (keeping the length in tact). Project doesn't. It's more like a ray of light. I haven't tried the "wrap" function for this yet.

Luckily, my version doesn't have to be that accurate as we're not the molders.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back