Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Proe 2001 dual core problem

andr3ix

Hello guys,

I am an IT administrator of a company that uses 4 proe 2001 pc's. The date code is 2002310. In the last 2 weeks I have been banging my head to a wall because I upgraded the pc units and proe had a strange error. The sistems are Dell Optiplex 755 ( E4500, 2 gb DDR2 and video radeon HD3650 512mb softmoded to firegl V3600). The error was extremely strange. After I reboot the pc, open proe 2001. The program runs great everything is ok, but if I close proe the pc speed is greatly affected. Everything slows down, proe opens 2 times slower and works verry slow. I tried alot of solutions but nothing worked ( bios update, different graphic cards, 2 versions of xp, 3 types of network cards, many proe config files, same services in xp etc etc) and nothing worked. In the same office there were the old proe pc's and they all worked ok.
Today I found the problem when I installed proe on my laptop ( HP NW8440 mobile workstation). Proe had the same simptoms even if this laptop is a real workstation unit with firegl v5200 on it. Ok so now the fix: disable dual core from bios!!
smiley18.gif

Sorry for the long post but I hope it helps some other guys if they end up in my situation. This bug in proe almoust made me go crazy ...

You don't have to disable the dual core, just set the affinity for the Process, xtop.exe is what Pro shows up as in the task manager. There are programs out there that can set it permanently. A program I use to use was IMAGEIT.<style> soNormal
{mso-style-parent:"";
margin:0in;
margin-bott om:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:12.0p t;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";}
@page Section1
{size:8.5in 11.0in;
margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;
mso-header-margin:.5in;
mso-footer-margin:.5in;

mso-paper-source:0;}
div.Section1
{page:Section </style>

I did this also and didn't worked. I solved the problem by changing the cpu with a P4 631. Overclocked from 3.0Ghz to 4.01Ghz it's really fast in proe 2001 beating my workstation laptop by about 20%
smiley20.gif
.I recommend the classic P4 for anyone using proe 2001.
The config I use is:
Intel P4 631 @ 4.01Ghz
MSI P35 Neo2
2 x 1GB Corsair 6400C4DHX ( 4-4-4-12 ) in dual chanel
250GB WD sata II
Sapphire ATI HD3650 512MB DDR2 softmoded to Firegl v3600
Insane cooling provided by Antec three hundred case
This is a really cheap config that delivers verry good performance.

It is good to hear that you have resolved your computer
problem. Sometimes, changing the CPU is the only possible
way to have a <a href="http://www.fastfastpc.com" target="_blank">faster
PC</a>. Of course, you also need to
maintain your system if you want to keep it running
smoothly. Always remove unnecessary data so will not end up
with a corrupted registry that can cause errors and slow
down your computer.
Edited by: sweetemo22jd

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back