Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Productpoint RETIRED

We work with productpoint 1.1 M040

They want us to go to Winchill 10.0. But we don't have all the info of 'how' or 'what'.

We just started using it 1 year ago, it was very difficult and with a lot of bug's in the beginning, but now it finally works for us!

I just think that it's crap,

We were real close to getting it in December but decided to hold off until all the big changes with Creo pushed thru. Glad we waited.

It just dont like going to my Superviser and CEO onApril 27th and saying we need this then come a few days later having to go to them and say, by the way I stumbled across this document and what we just bought is being canned. That announcement should have been out in the open more and Vars should have known about it and been telling people quoting it recently.

I am a perfect example of small PP user, we have only 4 seats total and I am the sole heavy user. I dont need full blown windchill nor do we need the extra cost. Basic document control should be part of the basic software package.

Windchill is a fine program, but its like flying a 747 across the street for us.

I'm the one that convinced my boss, that PTC was reliable and that WPP was the best solution.

Now 1 year after the start-up , I have to say to my boss that it STOPS!

I agree that PTC does the effort of upgrading us for free (???) to Winchill PDM, but at what expense. We've invested a lot of time into productpoint, now we have to do that again with Winchill PDM.

We will see

thus, at least small explanation seems to be enough to clarify what exactly or which exactly part of Windchill environment will be given to current Productoint users?

Hi, muadib3d, fair question indeed. So the upgrade offer is for Windchill PDMLink, version 10.0 (recently released). Here is a link to a data sheet that talks about many of the capabilities and benefits it provides. There is also a virtual event you can sign up to watch, and learn more about the Windchill product family, and Windchill PDMLink in particular.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

FAQ claims that users with "heavy" license of PP would have a opportunity to switch directly to equal license of PDMLink. That is really intresting while taking significant difference between these two packages.

Have I understood it right?

Second - FAQ claims that PDMlink would lunch within simpified installment conditions and extra tools for data migration which should faciliate whole process.

My question is - does it mean that single user is now capable to settle by himself a PDMLink environment?

Another option is something completely different. We are seeing a lot of buzz about Aras, the open source PLM product. At first we were concerned about the business model, but after evaluating it we were very surprised. The nice thing iswe did it all ourselves (downloaded the product, installed it..) and we were not restricted by Aras or had to be hassled by Sales guys..
smiley2.gif
Our focus was why not take a look.. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

llaMinerva said:
Another option is something completely different. We are seeing a lot of buzz about Aras, the open source PLM product. At first we were concerned about the business model, but after evaluating it we were very surprised. The nice thing iswe did it all ourselves (downloaded the product, installed it..) and we were not restricted by Aras or had to be hassled by Sales guys..
smiley2.gif
Our focus was why not take a look..

Hi IlaMinerva,

Which Pro/E version do you use with Aras?
For how long are you guys using it ...? Was it difficult to implement?

Thank you,

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back