Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Problems with imported IGES

yberrista

Hello everybody,

I want to perform some Analysis with ANSYS, for which I am building a Pro/Engineer model over an iges-imported geometry. My problem is that I would like to cut part of the imported iges geometry and I am unable to do it with Pro/Engineer. I know this software quite good and I have being unable. I have tried to do withANSYS and I have being unable too!.

Please, I am feeling desperated. Do you know a solution?.

Kindest Regards,

Fernando

Hi, Yberrista,

Most of the times when you import the iges file in proe, it is a surface model.

the solid extruded cut does not work in this case, Try to solidefy the model first and then cut it. View the model in wireframe, if you see yello edges, this means that your model is not water tight and needs to be corrected before solidifying.

all the best

write2bush said:
... , if you see yello edges, this means that your model is not water tight ...

Could be dangerous when stored inside a computer - mine isn't waterproof at least ...

Alex
smiley1.gif

working for FEA analysis and havingmodels in IGES format is a big headake for everyone. I have to fill gaps n patches then remove radius and create mid-surfaces to prepare the model for meshing and further FEA work.

CATIA and Proengineer will require a model to be converted in Solid and then it'll remove features such as radius fillets etc...This demands more work on preparing geometry to be watertight solid rather than concentrating on real job.

I've heard Solidworks2006( Featureworks) has capability to seperate features from imported geometry. I don't know how it works but if anyone using it or seen it...please let us know.

regards

hI eVERYbODY I HAD DONE SAME PROJECT FOR WHICH I USED NEW METHOD WHICH WORKS BRILLIANTLY: JUST REDIFINE IGES AND DELETE THE SURFACE WHICH U DONT WANT, THEN COPY ALL THE SURFACES AROUND THE DELETED PATCH AND SAVE THIS COPIED QUILT AS IGES, OPEN ANOTHER BLANK PART AND IMPORT THIS COPIED QUILT IGES, USE FREE FORM OPTION IN SURFACE MENU AND MERGE THEM TO FORM REQUIRED QUILT THEN AGAIN IMPORT IT BACK TO SAME IGES PART AMD MERGE IT WITH MAIN QUILT.............IT WORKS BRILLIANTLY...

HOPE THIS WORKS..........

SAURABH

Hello Fellow CAD freaks,

comments about IGES, pro e converts a complete iges surface shell into a solid automatically, if it can, by having the "make solid" item checked. If you go into the iges feature and redefine it you can select from the edit menu to join surface, make solid, etc.If the surfaces are incomplete or have problems you can do a variety of things to improve them.To do thatcan be doneby also redefining the iges feature. Once you have selected to redefine you can "heal the geometry". I suggest looking this up in the help files since it is a rather lengthy set of options. Suffice to say you can zip gaps, heal automatically, and fix tangency in many cases with a few simple clicks.

one thing that may work with alot lesseffort is to simply remove the iges feature and go to setup and adjust the part accuracy to a higher number like .003 from the default .0012. This will allow more irregular surface issues to keep the part from failing to make into a solid automatically. Then reimport the iges andcheck the results.(solidworks has an accuracynumber that allows even more irregularities in the surfaces )

for those that have an iges model and need a feature added, but can't or do not have the time or knowledge to repair it, you can treat the IGES like a surface model. Use surfacing methods to change the shape until you get a complete part shell. You can even make a cutting wall surface and cut off all of the bad features and rebuild them.

be creative and think outside the box, the solution may not be that far away. Remeber to make a pro e surface by merging and not build on the iges surfaces which are notoriously weak.

cheers...

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back