Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Problem in showing Results - engine out f

Isair

I have this assembly and I wanted to create analyzes for it. First I create shrink wrap file to have this assembly as one (I don't know if this is necessary), then I added material, create simulation features for constrains, and for loads, added constrains, added load and start simulation.
After 4 hours simulation finished and I wanted to see results but when I'm trying to do that it comes this message: cannot find engine out file and I'm unable to see my results.

What I'm doing wrong? This is my student project and this is my first time I'm using Mechanica.

Thanks in advance.

Here is picture of my assembly with constrains and loads:

Isair,

Sorry i dont have any idea on your question, but have one of my own.
How did u get them 2 side smaller pics added to the main one?

Puppet

Well it is simply, I use screen capturing software called Gadwin PrintScreen (its free), and he got nice options to capture entire window (main big picture), or small part of are you chose (2 small picture). After capturing my pic Put them in any graphic software like Photoshop, Corel, Fireworks (I used fireworks for this image) and then from three pic create one, add some notes, save as jpg, this is result.

Now back to my problem, any ideas, tips?

Isair, my first doubt would be that your analysis failed and did not run successfully. How does the summary/log file look? If it indeed finished, what values does the engine report for the default measures?

On a not relatedside of the topic: You can solve the model as an assembly, there is no need to shrinkwrap it. Also, are you using solid elements or shells?

Since this is my first time I used Mechanica I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, so I would ask little more help.
If summary/log file is Status report then I attached it in file so you can look at it and see if there is any errors.
I'm unable to find engine report for default measure (I just don't know where to look).
And when I go to AutoGEM control there are solid elements turned on so I spouse I used solid elements.

Again thanks for any help.

2006-01-18_061410_Study_status.zip

Isair, if you look into the file you attached, the analysis is still
running and not over yet. When the analysis is done, a message will say
"run completed" or something to that effect. However, your LOG files
shows that you have more than 88,000 solid elements and this is time
and memory consuming. Also the LOG files shows:

Memory Usage (kb): 1738887

Work Dir Disk Usage (kb): 5364736

So you are approaching the 2.0GB memory limit.

I'd suggest using shell elements instead (the geometry seems to have
many thin walls). This will cut down the element count and then rerun
the analysis.

Good luck,

Looks like a 2Gb limit problem indeed, and I would agree that this is a typical Shell model application for a much faster and smaller analyses.
Some background: in 32 bits versions of Windows the standard maximum process size is 2Gb. If your analysis (more accurate: the msengine.exe process in your task manager after you started the analyses) get close to this limit the analyses will fail. There is an escape to give yourself some more room by taking some memory back from the operating system. You do this by adding the /3Gb switch to the boot.ini file in c:\ like this example (open the boot.ini to see what I mean):
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn /3Gb

Wildfire 2.0 supports this switch, otherwise you would have to patch the executalble of the process also. This works in Windows XP professional only, For Windows 2000 or NT4 you will need the Advanced Server version. With ATI graphic cards you may need an additional switch to return a small bit again to the OS (/USERVA=3000 will do most of the time)

Your maximum process size has now gone up from 2Gb to 3Gb, regardless of the amount of physical RAM available. I you need more you need to go to Windows XP-64 and 64-bit Pro/E + Mech
The /3Gb switch is described on the Microsoft site

Thanks for your replays guys, now I know where problem is
smiley2.gif

You are both right, memory really goes over 2 Gb and then analysis stooped (not fines). Yesterday I tried to run it again with the same setup and after few hours windows alert me that virtual memory is to low and analysis stooped.

I'm aware of 2Gb windows limit but just didn't think that this might be a problem, now I will tweak win to up 3Gb limit as you suggested Remmerv (and thanks for that great tip).

Now another question: about shell elements I have tried to switch to them from solid but I haven't found option where to tell that use shell elements?
I'm apologizing for so much question but this is first time to use mechanica for that big model.

Another Idea, what you think is it OK to run analysis just ona half model (model is symmetric), to reduce time and resources of computer?

Thanks in advance.

I doubt that symmetry would help that much (cutting solid element count in half is not enough). I'd take NDK's advice and get familiarized with shell
idealizations, because they can be a headache sometimes, but would help a lot
in this case.

Thanks for replays!

I would look in to find this 2 books, and then do this analysis properly. In a mean while will try with half geometry and 3 Gb switch, maybe it will work.

Again thanks for your help and time
smiley2.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back