Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Pro/E weld vs Solidworks weld

design-engine

Wildfire 5.0 will let you weld a sheetmetal part w/o being in an assembly but it's still only a surface.

1. How does Pro/E handle the mass properties when a weld is added

2. Can anyone intelligently explain the difference between the Pro/E cosmetic weld from the Solidworks solid weld feature.

I have always made welds as a seperate solid part in Pro/E. I started doing that in R2 (two) & never changed.

Bart, how can you use "intelligent" & SW in the same sentence?

haha.... I am making some videos this week. Pro/E videos and at the end I sign off by saying... "... and solidworks can't do that"

Bart

I wanted to respond in saying that the major changes to the Welding Functionality is not limited to assemblies anymore, and not just Sheetmetal.

In part/assembly/and Shetmetal, Weld feature can be created.

Secondly.yes it is a Surve or Curve, depending on the creation type selected. WE really pushed for the Solidfunctionality, but it was cut at the last minute. Something to do with quality, and legacy data.

Current functionality Weld can be calculated for Mass Properties. It has been a while I played around. I seem to recall it was dependent on the Rod and Weld properties define, and with material/material type.

You have to set the config option for it to add welding mass to the assembly. You also need to specify the x-section area for the weld.I think in the rod. I can't remember all the info, as I haven't looked at it in a long time. It take the x-section area time the length of weld to create the volumeand calculate the mass, which is then added to total mass of asm.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back