Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Plastic design Q&A

Jacoolo

Hi people

the subject as old as world is, I suppose. Let`s put in one place everything concernig the thema - Plastic design:

*links
*hints
*methodology
*books
*drawing creation
*joints - fixing types
*right choice of material
*required analisys
*tolerance calculations
*etc

So first, can You share with some intresting links covering Plastic design(I know, I know, use google _ I`ve already done it, but I am sure I hadn`t find all what I could:))

long break ha?

ok, I know it is not Pro/E related so please switch me to a better Forum if You are aware of such

Anyway, I am facing small projects wich is USB related. The point is I have to create USB size housings for DVB-T receiver.

Among of other questions like propoer material(I am thinking about PC+ABS), the major question now is the fixing/assembling method.

I figured out two basic ones, which first is out of scope of my interest because it requires side actions in mold(to expensive)

the second one requiers glue to fix both parts together

I do not want to reinvent wheel again so please tell me if there exist any web page about such stuff to fit best fixing to my needs(in the end I belive it gonna end up with glue;))

muadib,

glue tends to be a messy process...what does your manufacturer prefer?

consider ultrasonic welding, can your components handle the vibrations? are the materials suitable? do you need to disassemble it later?

if you have side core cost issues then consider other ways of forming undercuts. You can reverse the tab and angle the wall away, or provide access to a hook from below with an opening, or design an interfacing part as a go between...etc

books:

designing plastic parts for assembly

successful injection molding

design for six sigma

tolerance-already mentioned on this site, but here is another site to play with:
<a href="http://www.tec-ease.com/gdt-tips.htm" target="_blank">
http://www.tec-ease.com/gdt-tips.htm</a>

websites? check the material supplier design guides

cheers,

M

thx magne

the tool must be as cheap as it is possible

I suppose it won`t be necessary to disassemble it later - that is why I thought about glue. The simplier the better.

Yea, this project is just one day long(you belive, I started this today), so I am not aware yet about all demands.

Snap fits are the easiest way to join 2 plastic parts. Nearly every plastics producer has a plastic part design guide, some have more extensive data on things like snap fits & living hinges.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back