Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Pipe Length in part drawing

surfvaidy

Does anybody know , how to display the pipelength in the part drawing

I have extracted the part from the piping asm and i am detailng it for manufacturing. its a general practice to give pipe od, thickness, material and length in the part drawing.

report parameter can be used in the context of the asm only. it is not working in part drawing mode. also i have more than 25 pipes , and i want the length to be given as a parametric note.

(the parameter &asm.mbr.pipe.line.len.center does not work . please dont suggest that anymore)

advance thanx

You could make a curve length analysis for the pipe, put the analysis as a feature in your model tree, called let's say total_length.

Then in part relations add pipe_length=length:fid_total_length, and in your drawing asm.mbr.pipe_length.

If I am not mistaken, the asm.mbr syntax won't work because it is a drawing of a part not an assembly any more.

but that does suggest another solution: assemble the pipe part as the only component in another assembly and thenmake adrawingof the new assembly. then I believe the original parameter (line.pipe.len.center) should work without - sorry can't try it myself, we don't have piping here.

hth
Edited by: Jeremy Feist

I was working on a reply earlier to do what vlad mentioned but I also had another Idea.

You should be able to do a curve through points that has the same bend radii as your pipe and use a curve length analysis feature which would have a length equal to your pipes centerline you could also create a thin protrusion sweep along the curve instead of a pipe.

Michael

guys,
thanx for the overwhelming response. but the suggestion by vlad1979 didnt work bcoz the datum analysis feature does have the items that can be got through info>piping>pipesegment>length. As the extracted pipe model behaves only like a solid part, the curve length can be measure only through a round about way of creating a datum curve through points. it takes more time than just seeing the pipe info and just typing as a note in a drawing.(!).
It would be easy to create a integer parameter in piping asm like
length = &asm.mbr.pipe.line.len.center and passing that parameter to the part(top down). but the report parameter assignment reports an error. i didnt know how to solve this.
kindly reply.

surfvaidy said:
guys,
It would be easy to create a integer parameter in piping asm like
length = &asm.mbr.pipe.line.len.center and passing that parameter to the part(top down). but the report parameter assignment reports an error. i didnt know how to solve this.
kindly reply.

has anyone solved this?

Hello surfvaidy,

we developed a small Pro/Toolkit Application which writes pipe length and also some other piping parameters as part parameters into the automatically created pipe parts. Then you can reference them on the pipe part drawing, in notes etc....

If you are interessted in this, send me a mail to [email protected] then I can give you more information

Stefan

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back