Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

photorender - my 2 problems

TWINTURBOTOM

i've done some searching (and will do more) on photorender.

1) I'm looking for the best (non overwhelmingly time consuming, good quality) way to create rooms. What are you rendering pro's doing to make the rooms of your dreams?

2) 3 d texture. In particular, bark on a tree, to protrude out, is this something that should be modeled and then rendered or can a room have the visual effect of a 3 dimensional surface?

if anyone can help I will appreciate the time every letter takes to type!!! any leads as far as good "how to" sites on this stuff would be great as well.

THANKS!!!!

If you're up to speed you can have a room set up in less than five minutes. Always orient your model so that the bottom (or what is going to be touching the floor from points on your model) is parallel to the floor plane. Make a datum plane on your model if you need to so that this can be achieved. Then use 'reset room to model' to orient the room. This will save you a lot of time and effort. You need to be appyling textures and bump maps to get the effects you desire - e.g. the bark effects. You get a good selection of these on the Pro/E Grahpics Library CD but you can use your own (a Google search will reveal a widre array). You will need to play around with the height factor on your bump map setting and also the repeat factors on your colour map settings. Tiffs and jpegs are compatible and I think Pro/E uses a .tx3 extension as default. You can rename tiffs and jpegs to tx3 and Pro/E should still read them. Lighting is probably the main factor in getting a good render. ALWAYS turn off the default ambient and default distant lights. I only use spotlights and have found that by using 4typically - all directed at the model from different angles - gets a good results. Set the lights to cast shadows and make sure that the they are positioned far enough away from the model to completely light the model and surroundings. It's better to have your lights further away and the spotlight angle smallish than nearer the model but with a wide angle. I've found this from experience. Be careful with the light intensity settings - too high and your render will seem washed out. I generally set about 0.5 for all the spotlights. If you like, send me your private e-mail address and I will send you some renders which were set up in around half an hour. These were done with the advanced renderer (ARX) and some took up to five hours to compute.

View attachment 2969

Hope this helps a little.

Phil

Haven't tested but their could (should ? ) be a computing time difference when more lights are used.

Alex

VERY VERY HELPFUL THANK YOU!!!

NOW I AM EXPERIENCING ANOTHER ISSUE....WHEN I ENTER PHOTORENDER; CHANGE PERSPECTIVE AND LIGHTS AND ALL THAT GOOD STUFF, IF I WANT TO RETURN TO THE MODEL IT KEEPS THE VIEWS AND LIGHTS (WHICH I DON'T WANT) THE "CLOSE PHOTORENDER" ICON IS NOT LIT UP...JUST THE "X" CLOSE DIALOG IS USABLE....WHATS THE DEAL WITH THIS??

ALSO I AM PRETTY SURE I AT ONE TIME (MIGHT HAVE BEEN ON WF AND NOT 2001) WAS ABLE TO REMOVE ROOMS AND SET UP A VIEW WITH JUST ONE WALL....I CAN'T SEEM TO DO THAT AGAIN...ANY TIPS? I'M JUST LOOKING FOR A SINGLE BACKGROUND SHOT UP CLOSE ENOUGH TO NOT SHOW ANYTHINGBUT ONE WALL....WHEN I GO TO DISPLAY THE ROOM IN SHADED VIEW IT IS SHOWING THE WALL I DON'T WANT TO SHOW...AND IT DOESN'T SEEM TO MANIPULATE PROPERLY...ANY TIPS FOR ME??

THANKS!

Turn off 'Perspective' when orientating the model and/ or room. You can get false viewings of how the room is relative to the model otherwise. This maybe a bug but has always been the case from what I've found. Everything you could do in 2001 you can do in Wildfire 1/2/3 but in WF3 there are more options for the advanced colour map settings and the lighting is better to manipulate. You can also save a scene which includes your lighting and room settings in one file.

One point to note: if you close your window (but keep your model in session) then bring it back ino a Window you will lose your lighting and room set up. So always save your room and light settings just in case Pro/E crashes or you accidentally close your window.

Lock your room to the model or else the model will orientate independently to your room when you spin or pan. Make sure that the model is in the middle of the room and then turn off 3 of your walls. This bit's a bit tricky because you don't know which wall icon controls which wall in your model. Once you've found it you can traverse the wall nearer to your model. Alternatively, do away with the room and just set up a background image. You will need to have the 'render room' option turned off in your settings.

To get rid of your room settings just click the red tick (to activate your window - even though it is active) and your model will return to normal. You will need to delete your lights though and turn the default ones back on. Otherwise your model will look funny in your modelling environment.

Does this help?

Phil

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back