Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Pattern to follow curve

kenppy

I have a triangular curve that I wish to follow a curve. If it's round and on the first point then it places itself correctly along the curve, anything else goes flying off. How do I get this so that both ends of the side opposite the hypotenuse both lie on the curve as a pattern.
View attachment 5004

Create a point feature with two points and pattern it by selecting the dimensions for the individual points in the pattern definition. sketch your feature through the first two points and reference pattern.

neuronex,
that's almost exactly what I'm after, the problem is that the points that I want to stick to the curve don't do this. I have two features, the curve and then two points on the curve which are patterned. But still going wrong! I'm after 10 'teeth' along the curve so I expect the last one to hang off the end as it does. How did you reference the first shape to the curve?
thanks
View attachment 5006
View attachment 5007

The .prt file is attached to my post above. The sketch for the triangle needs modifying though - there's no real dimensioning scheme governing the shape of the triangle; it was just sketched in a hurry.

If I get a moment later on I'll try it with two datum points / do my triangle sketch properly.

Edited by: neuronex

You're on the right track using the two points...it actually seems much easier that way:

View attachment 5010

I created the two datum points in a single datum point feature, using real numbers to govern their location on the curve. So the first point was 0.0 on the curve, the second point was 50 on the curve -> this creates the first set of points through which the base curve of the triangle will pass.

Pattern the datum point feature (which contains both points), and be sure to increment the feature using the dimensions from both points (else only one point will pattern):
View attachment 5011

That gives you your points along the curve.

For the Triangle curve, your only two references should be the first two datum points (this is important for the pattern to work properly). Sketch a line between the two points....and finish the triangle off:

View attachment 5012

Then just Pattern -> Reference and hopefully all goes well. Part is attached here:

2011-04-12_073023_pattern_with_2points.prt.zip

I can see what you are doing, but I particularly want to divide the path into equal lengths, i can probably do it the way you have by setting up a relationship. you can see what happens to your file when I change from dimension to curve.
View attachment 5013

It does divide the path into equal lenghts but its an arc length not a straight line distance. What you're wanting to do is keep the triangle base a fixed length. Which may make what you're trying to get a little more difficult. I also think the reason it comes off the curve is the pattern leader dot is placed at the center of the sketch figure, therefore, to get the figure to follow the curve the figure needs to be redefined so the center of the figureis at the curve end. However, it ends up not being what you want so I'm not sure you're going to be able to use the curve pattern type.
Edited by: kdem

kdem said:
What you're wanting to do is keep the triangle base a fixed length. Which may make what you're trying to get a little more difficult.[/QUOTE
Is this what you're after kenppy?

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back