Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Other PDM Programs

wallym

Does anyone know of other PDM programs that work well with Pro/E? We need some way to manage our data but don't want to spend a lot of money on PDMLink. We have 5 users and use WF3 on Windows XP. We want to be able to do where-used, check for updated parts in an assembly, keep multiple people from working on the same parts/assm's, revision control, security of released files.

Any suggestions would be helpful,

Thank you

Take a look at HCS CheckOut 5.1 at www.hcs-checkout.com It is an excellent PDM for Pro/E and will do everything you asked for an much more. We set it up here and had it up and running a about an hour, very easy to setup and use.

We tried several of the other PDM solutionsout there and this was by far the best.

There's DesignDataManager (DDM), an inexpensive PDM software, but I'm not sure that they can still sell to PTC customers. Even though we haven't yet bought their software, we had to pay a small amount of money to them before January 1 to be considered a customer. It has something to do with PTC's purchase of CoCreate - a search of past posts will explain more.

There's also Aras Innovator, an open source software. I've yet to learn how well it works with Pro/E. I think either will have the same limitations due to certain things that PTC doesn't allow third party suppliers access to.

I'll give a second vote for Aras Innovator. I saw a demo of the Pro/E integration and it seemed very functional. One of the big advantages is that it is a full blown PLM system so it can do a lot of other things beyond just managing CAD data.

Tom

Definitely stay away from SAPPLM - it is dreadful, and I'm being very kind when Iput it that way
smiley19.gif

Hi James,

The integration is from a third party, and does have a subscription cost.

Best Regards

Tom

Thanks for the valuable info. Now I need to start looking at the different options and see which fits our needs the best.

Can anyone give me general price for each of these PDM's to work in a 5 user environment? I know I can ask for a quote from each company but then I will be forever hounded by the salespeople. At least a rough Idea of the price might narrow down the search a little bit.

Thank you

Wally

As of early this year, DDM was $1500 US per seat for the professional version (needed by CAD users) and $900 US per seat for the office version (used for working with non-CAD files). I'm not sure if they are allowed to sell to PTC customers at this point, though, because of an agreement between the two companies.

Aras Innovator is open source and technically free, but in reality is probably far from it. The good thing is that it can be downloaded and evaluated at no cost.

Hi Wally,

The CheckOut PDM has a site licensethat allows an unlimited number of users touse the software for$1500. You can download it and try it out for 60 days free just to see if you like it, thats what we did. I understand that there is also a single userlicense for free.

Good luck,

Hi Terry,Tom,James, Trahae and Wallym,

These discussions are really cool and I would like to thank all you guyz for the informations. Am new to PDMLink having vast experiance using Pro/Intralink as an end user.

Prior to this , I knew very few players in PLM market like SAP-PLM, Windchill PLM, Enovia or Team Centre which are used in large firms. Then I came across PTC's Product Point which can be used only by small firms ( drawback is Change Mgmt is not possible here ). Then from this forum,I came across Chekout PDM and other few PDM's which are really inexpensive. I would like to know all the PDMSoftwares which are really cheap and can be used in smaller firms say some 10 users maintaining some 10000 to 20000 drawings requiriing only data management capabilities.

Thanks in Advance,

Sudharshan, Bangalore, INDIA.
Edited by: Sudharshan123

Interesting topic here.

We're a 200-employee company using ProE for mcad, but we also want to manageseveral design documents, electronics schematics and part numbering trhough a PDM/PLM.

We have 2 candidates in mind : Windchill & TeamCenter.

I know Windchill pretty well for having worked with it in the past. Now, how about TeamCenter? And especially with Pro/E? Does it extract the BOMs from Pro/E assemblies? Can it understand family tables?

Has anyone ever used the Pro/E-TeamCenter combo?

Thanks,

Mat
Edited by: mdemers

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back