Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Opening files from subfolders

bigdaddy

We currently are running WF 3.0 without Intralink or any other data management system. All of our files are allstored in one big folder. There are no subfolders.

I used to use Intralink and loved having the subfolders to sort parts by type, size, etc. I'd love to do that in our situation as well and know that our assemblies would be able to find the parts using search.pro.

However, does anyone know if there is any way to type in the part number for a part stored in a subfolder and have Pro/E bring it up even though it's not in the "working directory" top-level? I was looking to see if there might be some config setting for this. Thanks for the help.

First, create plain text file, called search.pro and place it in working directory. This file should include all the subfolders (with full path, e.g. C:\workdir\subfolder1), listed one in each row.

Then set the config.pro setting search_path_file to the search.pro file, you've just created. And there you go, Pro/E will be able to load all the parts in subfolders, listed in search.pro file.

However, you must load this custom config.pro file (with search_path_file option) everytime you want to work with that top-level directory AND you the best way to achieve this is to create new shortcut (let's say one for every project you are working on) to start Pro/E and set the "Start in" option to the project (top-level) working directory, where your custom config.pro file is.

Hope this helps.

Yes, once you have the search path set, you can open a drawing that is in any one of these directories, no matter where your current working directory is, by typing in the drawing, or part, or assembly name, but you must include the .drw, .prt, or the .asm in the name.

Hi,

I've written a small utility which allows you to add Pro/E to the menuyou see when clickingthe right mouse button on a folder in an Explorer window. The folder you have selected will be the working directory automatically and the config files that are inside this working directory will be loaded automatically also. This way you don't have to create shortcuts for each project folder you are working in.

You can download it from
ftp://celkunststoffen.khlim.be/proe/Setup1-1.exe

Any comments, remarks about the software are welcome.

Best regards,

John Bijnens

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back