Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Online Pro/E aptitude test. Anyone?

mterrian

Has anyone participated in an employer supplied online aptitude test for Pro/E? I had to take one at a site called www.proveit.com and I thought I crushed it. Ended up with half wrong.

I think that 10 or so questions asked during a phone interview can determine if someone knows Pro/ENGINEER or not. These types of questions (above) are designed to filter the bulk before the interview process. The problem is that the people who design the test often forget that non degreed designes who are really talented at Pro/ENGINEER are not typically the types of people who take multiple choice questions well.

If someone knows Pro/ENGINEER with a couple years experience they should be able to clean up a series of interferences that are over and under sized parts created by other designers. How do you figure that out from a multiple chose questioner?
Edited by: design-engine

I also did an online Pro-E apptitude test and ended up with a 51%. Still got hired though!
smiley1.gif

I had an interview where the company's ProE administrator handed me a print of some generic widget with various types of features and asked me to model the part and recreate the drawing. I don't think there was anexact time limit, but before I had quite added all the final details to thedrawing he was satisfiedwith my abilities.

Atmy current company ourengineering group took some multiple choice tests to evaluate if any trainingwas needed. There were lots of questions thatdidn't apply to what we do, so the scores didn't necessarily reflect on our capabilities.

I think the hands on type of test is a far better way to evaluate someone.

I took the "Creating Geometry from Surfaces and Curves using Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 3.0" and scored 80%, I'm currently at 145th place :)

Edited by: zpaolo

but hands on is hard to grade in quantities.And if companies like BAE are to filter from 6500 resumes they need an outside company to help them filter down.

I'd like to give some of these a shot. Anyone got a link? the proveit site listed at the top doesn't show any Pro|E tests that I could find.

design-engine said:
Here is one. Multiple choice.

What color is a surface when it is selected?

A Red
B Green
C Yellow
D Silver

Um, what is red, Alex? I'll take "Family Tables" for 800 please...

design-engine said:

A Red
B Green
C Yellow
D Silver

Wouldn't this depend on the system color settings? So I choose E whatever color I want to make it.
smiley2.gif

audctrl said:
design-engine said:

A Red
B Green
C Yellow
D Silver

Wouldn't this depend on the system color settings? So I choose E whatever color I want to make it.
smiley2.gif

smiley7.gif
All you rich people and your colour tv`s... im still on a 10" B&W
smiley36.gif

You can change the selected color from the system colors palate which changes the color of the surface when selected but I've found PTC usually bases these questions on the default settings.

I took a few of those and scored decent, not perfect. After going over the answers I realized I actually knew all of them but I hit the wrong selection, consistently about 3/4 the way thru on 2 or 3. Story of my life - I breeze thru multiple choice for awhile then go off the rails near the end.

design-engine said:

A Red

B Green

C Yellow

D Silver
And that is relevant to a designer because???

What a ridiculous question. The other problem that comes up with many programs is people know them by muscle memory or custom mapkeys, and how is one able to properly demonstrate that?

Generally, we've done the approach of asking how people are familiar with certain attributes in Pro/E, be it top down design or what not, then ask what they like/dislike about those key attributes, and strengths/weaknesses of them

Usually if you get someone to talk about specifics you can get a feel if they are BS'ing or not. Then there is the hands on test if you can afford the time to adminster them.

You are misusing your time and energy by having false intelligence test. Consider taking that correct IQ test:

http://www.best-iq-test.com

A score you receive with an intelligence test is useless if this result's not compared to individuals your actual age. Based on the latest tests done by men and women your actual age, our organization quantifies in real time all intelligence quotient scores to help make the analysis of your own IQ extremely precise. Furthermore, we assign a rating based on the clinically respected Wechsler Scale where 1 hundred is the average intelligence quotient.

smiley2.gif

Edited by: halolo

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back