Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Omitting section lines on ribs

PART LEVEL... not possible...

Assembly level when the rib is designed as a seperate part and welded.... Possible by excluding components....

srini is not that hard, however it should be really necessary to go this way

I used to use this method back then when I was dealing with housings. Belive or not, but sometimes I was pushed to use this for complicated model, with many rounds, drafts, etc. Yeap, it crashed each time model was changed:)))

The point was to put Intersection Curve, early before Ribs, and add Cosmetic sketch in the end of the model. This method was very demanding while some rounds and drafts just did not fit to sketch and it was always problem with open profile(not allowed) which caused Cosmetic to not hatch.

Thanks for the input folks,

I'm fairly new to ProE but with Autocad (sorry to use a bad word) our convention was to omit section lines for webs (ribs) and spokes for clarity.

Can I ask whether most people in the ProE world are just leaving the section lines in this type of situation?

Thanks,

Barry

I have`nt mentioned that You can also omit rib hatching by making an offset X-section. I saw once such trick. Not quite sophisticated and pretty, but it worked fine. Difference was seen after closer look;)

If it was demanded, I had to made it in the way described earlier. If the part was made be Revolve, I made a section in the place the ribs weren`t placed.

I never understood why sections were omitted on ribs in the first place, it certainly does not improve clarity. It makes the viewer do mental gymnastics to figure out that your section view doesn't really represent what is going on. However, when I need section views that don't include ribs, do like muadib3d and make an offset section or an auxiliary view that doesn't go through the ribs.

dr_gallup said:
I never understood why sections were omitted on ribs in the first place, it certainly does not improve clarity.
This is a method brought in from the good old drafting board days... (perhaps to reduce thepain of drawing repetitive lines...)where the section lines were not drawn if the section plane contains the longest line of the rib...This practice is widely used in european drawings (I do not know of Americal methodology) and in India. A similar method is the rotated section view... However, I do not bother much with the section lines. When I need a planar section I make a planar section. I do not even bother to offset the section unless the drawing demands it.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back