Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

offset lines to mold cutout in sketch

Skie

ProE Wildfire 5 part: 2012-04-17_055910_plate_example.prt.zip

I need to outline a mold cutout with an extruded cut and then pattern joining cuts. The problem is I can not reference the mold cutout in any way and so i can't off set the new extruded cut and the other joining cuts. The mold will change later so the offset cuts need to be able to update.
So how to do the first cut.
And how to do the joining cuts.

View attachment 5602

Edited by: Skie

I have uploaded the part file the link is at top of post.

I was able to make an offset for the main cutout by using the Offset tool (thks s_pme20)but the trick was it only allowed me to choose 1 line and when I tried to choose another by CTL or Shift it would not allow it. But by choosing Chain and then clicking on the edge line featuresaround themold cutout the program then asked if I wanted to make it a Loop whichwas good and then it all worked.Now how to do the pattern of cuts around mold cavity.

View attachment 5605

ALSO I was not able to do a .005 deep extrude with the error: You have entered a value 0.0050 that is out of range (0.0240 to 1000000.0000)

My accuracy is set really high at:

Absolute: 0.01169097444 (this was the default and I acutally tried to change it to what I thought is the max at .0012 but for molds I read that it has to be at least, .0000001 Which they were right because I had a problem with shrinking at a lower setting. (by the way are the numbers generated just random?)

But I guess the accuracy has nothing to do with this issue.

Sometimes pro will allow you to change the depth after you create the cut (I think it is a bug). Try edit definition on the cutout and see if it will allow you to change it to .005.

Absolute accuracy sets the absolute smallest edge
allowable. Relative is the ratio between the part size and
the smallest allowed edge.

Years ago when I used the mold package, we set all parts to absolute 0.0001" and it worked fine. Setting it to 0.0117"
isn't high (low numerically) enough. Everything, molded
p[art, work pieces, extracts, had to have the same accuracy
which is why relative won't work.

yah..as DGS said, you didnt get .005 depth because of absolute accuracy.
For pattern of sand gate I think pattern along curve will work (Sometimes you don't get correct orientation of instances)..just try that.

To get .005mm: Changing by Dymanic Edit or Edit Definition does not allow it to change producing the same error. (thks krow72)

If "Absolute accuracy sets the absolute smallest edge allowable" then the smallest edge allowable would be 0.01169097444 mm far beyond .005 mm. So I'm not sure I understand why setting to Absolute: 0.01169097444 is the problem.

All parts & assembilies & mold assemblies must be the same accuracy to work and set at Absolute to avoid problems for importing models and other issues. Therefor I can not have the parts and assemblies in Relative. I started in Relative and ran into problems with Shrinking and the Mold program produces an error in accuracy warning. Not being able to have a .005mm dimention in Absolute mode is unlikely so I think it's something else.

I've trued changing the accuracy_lower_bound to 0.01169097444 but does not affect issue.

This is as far as I got with the pattern:

View attachment 5607

View attachment 5608

View attachment 5609

Skie said:
If "Absolute accuracy sets the absolute smallest edge allowable" then the smallest edge allowable would be 0.01169097444 mm far beyond .005 mm. So I'm not sure I understand why setting to Absolute: 0.01169097444 is the problem.

C'mon now,
0.01169097444 mm > .005 mm
Smallest edge allowed is 0.01169097444 and you want it more smaller than that .005 mm

For point problem:
- point is at intersection of two lines (Alreadt fully constrained) OR
- Don't zoom-in two much. Sometimes it's visual only OR
- Check ur Edge quality (View>display setting>model display>edge quality--> in WF4)

Edited by: s_pme20

Well this is embarrassing.

Ok I was looking at the numbers as placeholders for recognized maximum decimal values. So .00000000000 not an actual number. Oh boy.

So when I converted all my parts to the new accuracy of 0.01169097444 I imagine that now all those parts and assemblies are no longer accurate.

Do you think if I convert back to say .0000001 it will regain the accuracy again without the rounded up numbers? Wishful thinking I know.

I found out that I had to change default_abs_accuracy to 0.0000001 to be able to change the part accuracy to same.

And yes I now can enter a number such as .005

Still can't get pattern to work though. Thks everyone

Don't mix things about accuracy about number of digits & part accuracy.
Part absolute accuracy: Governs smallest edge allowed in part (It's all about value not number of digits)

Nuber of digits accuracy: Governs number of decimal places for a perticular dimension.

You can govern number of digits by config option: default_dec_places (It will add only trailing zeros automatically, you need to re-enter accurate decimal places dim value if you change accuracy to more number of digits)

Whats the problem with pattern???

If you're working in MM, I wouldn't go to an accuracy
that tight. Remember, since you're specifying the size
of the smallest allowed edge, absolute accuracy is units dependent. I use 0.0001" or 0.00254 mm almost
exclusively and it works well, but I'm not doing molds
these days.

A higher accuracy (lower value) will force more
computation and every regen will slow to a crawl. Things
that ought to be solvable, may not be now. because the
vertexes don't quite align within .00001 mm.

Lastly, do you really need features to 0.0005 mm? Are
your machines accurate enough to produce that? If they
could, could you measure it to verify that it did? I
don't know your business and capabilities, but trying to
make features that small is not simple and rarely needed.

Thks guys very much appreciated and I have a better understanding now and totally agree with you all and have made a bunch of changes to my config file and my templates.

As for the pattern issues (s_pme20) I can not get the pattern to follow the mold cutout as you can see in the image with the layout dots before rendering the extruded cuts. I've uploaded the part files if you care to give it a shot.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back