Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Newbie Question

kerklein2

I am just getting started using Pro/E and I'm trying to use a file downloaded from 3Dcontentcentral.com. I first tried using a Pro/E model from them but when I tried to import it to my workspace, nothing would happen. I am using Wildfire 2 and I just assumed it was a new version file and would not work. I went back and downloaded an IGES file and imported that to my workspace. I then created a new part and tried Insert->Shared Data->From file and selected the iges file. When I do this I get a dialog box that says "file selection failed, file type may be wrong".

What am I doing wrong?

So I signed up just so I could answer this question.

Pro Enigneer is one of the few Cad systems that must not allow file names with spaces. I believe it was originally created for Unix systems which does not allow spaces in comands. I know very little about Unix tho. Actually less than a little.

The file names have spaces in them. Rename the files so there are no spaces and they should work just fine. The Pro Engineer download I downloaded was a ProE rev 20 file. But was saved as a neutral file...

I just checked and the file name does not have any spaces. At first I was like...ah ha, because I just moved from I-DEAS and spaces are not allowed there either. Unfortunately my file does not have spaces in it.

Try importing your file into an assembly file instead of a part file.

Also I would try a couple differnet part file downloads.

Shaun,

Careful with terminologies you use. "Workspace" is a Pro Intralink term, are you using Pro Intralink?

For this kind of file you don't want to import (Insert->Shared Data->From file).

You should just open the iges file. (File Open > set file type to iges).

Charles

Yes, I am using Intralink. When I try to do file>open, nothing happens and the dialog at the bottom says "No Such File"

"No Such File" sounds like something wrong with file name or path...

1. Export one of your ProE file to iges and see if you can open that iges file.

2. Can you upload or send me the iges file to see if I can open it?

Charles

"file selection failed, file type may be wrong".

That error is a file name error. lowercase, uppercase, symbol, space, number of characters, whatever the case. If I was you I would rename my file "1.igs" and rename it after you get it opened. I would place the file directly on the c:/ drive not deep in some file system.

You shouldn't need any config setting to open an igs file..

I opened the igs file you posted without any problems, but I don't have intralink.

Well I should have tried that to begin with. I changed it to HINGE.igs and it worked fine. I will also note that originally the file name was .IGS and intralink would not recognize it as an iges file until i changed it to .igs .

In the same context : remember that anything you drop on desktop or other similar "standard" folders also gets spaces inserted in the full path, and that this full path may be longer than some routines from the past may want to expect.

Alex

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back