Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

New Object creation in Intralink 3.x

JamesM

I'm using Intralink 3.4 and have a question about the new object creation option. When I try to create a part this way, it creates a ghost part because it's an empty file. Is there a way to avoid this other than having a start part with something already in it?

For whatever reason, Intralink 3.4 doesn't make new objects using Pro/E's defined start parts. It instead looks to a folder in it's install directory for files called template.*. For example, when I tell Intralink to make a new assembly, it pulls template.asm from C:\ProIntralink3.4\pdm\templates and make the new part a copy of that. I suppose the logic was so you could have consistency with things like an excel template (template.xls) and so on.

I though that might be the problem but I can open the template.prt. Also, out of curiosity, I copied my normal start part to the template directory and renamed it to template.prt. Same result.

Another thing I noticed: the help screen for this states that, after entering a part name and selecting anobject type (part, assembly, etc.), the correct file extension will be appended to the previously entered file name. That doesn't happen.

I tried the process with several other file types (there are many PTC and non-PTC file types to choose from). Interestingly, it doesn't work with Pro/E parts or assemblies or with AutoCAD dwg files, but does work with Excel files, text files, and BMP files. I have templates for only .prt, .asm, and .drw.
Edited by: JamesM

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back