Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

My mapkeys are trash yet again???

Just installed Creo 2 and found that pretty much nothing from my config.pro works anymore. Well the background color took, and the secret #Modify popup menu still exists, but not much else. Even activate, the little checkbox looking thing, seems to have bailed too. Do we not activate window, instead of done, done/return, done-return, done done done anymore??

The internet picture that comes to mind is facepalm, and feeling I have is the GIF version that shows an endless loop of many facepalms. Not clear what I mean, search it up, page 1 is full of what I'm saying, click 'images' for a full serving. Thats me tonight, over and over, just frustrated beyond words. Into the garbage again, every shortcut that made me productive, every workaround that fixed what wasn't broke, every click reduction I invented to counter the click increase I was upgraded too, every single thing that made me more useful than the receptionist.

Well, today the table is leveled, now me and the receptionist have equal knowledge of where the picks are. In fact, I'd wager she has the edge on me because her untrained mind probably gravitates right to the correct command, where as my trained mind and years of experience in pro now punish my ability to work and find the command picture icon avatar I want. Is there a config option for weld_all_these_stupid_ribbon_tabs_back_into_a_useful_toolbar at all???

Why PTC, why must you hurt the ones you love? Its bad enough that Creo is a stupid name, why don't you show some bollocks and ditch the stupid ribbon, include a mapkey converter, and stop upgrading what isn't broken. Make your software easier, simpler to approach, less complicated to decode. Stop hiding picks, stop organizing buttons into categories, stop pretending this needs to look like Word.

You're getting your behind kicked in the marketplace, make this awesome software any harder and less intuitive to use and you will lose me too. Go purchase a seat of that pile and take note of how a context sensitive GUI works, and consider it deeply.

Am downloading Creo 3 now, I'm just going to walk away from 2 and pretend my dreams aren't crushed, hoping instead that version 3... pro 34... can be reforged into a tool I can use.

I am willing to bet some of the mapkeys you had are not even needed anymore. That said, mapkeys have never been supported from major release to release, they are customizations the user assumes responsibility for. As far as activating window, control+A is pretty quick/efficient.

I don't mean this to come down on anyone but if you find yourself saying "I've been a user for 10+ years" or however many releases, that needs to be thrown out in your thought process. It is not the same as it was 5 years ago and it is definitely not the same as it was with 2001, etc...

Throw out all the old knowledge of the menu manager and old Edit options and realize that the ribbon can be pretty damn intuitive. Hell, if you hate it that much, you can customize each ribbon tab.

I do understand frustrations with partial updates, such as where the menu manager pops up creating old legacy features but I guess we live with that for now...

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back