Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Multiple Model BOM Balloons

MugenPower

Hi Guys

Our drawings often show multiple configurations of an assembly, therefore we have multiple models associated with those drawings. We have succeeded in building a BOM repeat region that features multiple columns for the rpt.qty info for the various models and itpopulates brilliantly
smiley4.gif
However, we can't show BOM balloons from it. The message window says "BOM Balloons are not supported for regions with multiple models". We are using WF2 buildcode M200. Is this function supported in a more current build of WF2, or in WF3, maybe?

Hi MugenPower,

We have also created a multi column BOM. We are using WF3 and the multi column table does not work. What we do is have a master table off the drawing sheet with item numbers in it. We then organize the multi column table using the fix index to match the master table.

Jeff Toff

We have gotten the table to fill out automatically - just can't show balloons automatically. Did you assign a model to each column with the &rpt.qty report parameter? You do this with the Column Model/Repselection under the TBL REGIONS menu. If the balloons could be shown automatically, we'd have some happier campers at my company
smiley5.gif

Yes we have used the model rep.

Our problem is that we do not have item numbers showing up with all the variations of similar part #'s, so we manually enter the item #'s after we fix index. For E.g abc, abc-1, abc-2 all would have an index # of 1 and so on for the next part #'s in the table. Have you mastered this function to be automatic?

Jeff Toff

Yes we have. It really works great too
smiley1.gif
Parts that are reused in the different models show up in the BOM multiple times by default but that can be remedied by going into the Table > Attributes menu and selecting >No Duplicates.

Hi MugenPower,

Do you useitem numbers in your multi column tables? Do you manually have to enter the items numbers or did you make a relation to automate the item numbers? If you did I would be interested in knowing the relationship.

Jeff Toff

jeff toff said:
Hi MugenPower,

Do you useitem numbers in your multi column tables? Do you manually have to enter the items numbers or did you make a relation to automate the item numbers? If you did I would be interested in knowing the relationship.

Jeff Toff

The columns for the multiple models show only quantity. The item numbers are shown only once. We didn't do any special tweaking to get the item numbers - just the usual reportparameter (&rpt.index )
Edited by: MugenPower

Hi MugenPower,

How do you number parts or assemblies which come from the same family.Assembly for example that would be 2 different sizes but used in the same location, this would have the same Index number.

Jeff Toff

We don't re-use item numbers when similar parts (in this case item's 1-3, called housings) are substituted in different assemblies. Take a look at this sample BOM and see if you can follow what we are doing.

View attachment 3769

Actually, we are not getting any balloons to auto-populate. I haven't tested the BOM with family tables instances - ours are discrete models. Did youtry selecting the Table>Attributes>No Duplicates pick to combine the duplicated item numbers?

I just got the definitive word from PTC that the auto-ballooning is not a supported function
smiley19.gif
TPI 120382 details a workaround but it is probably just as much trouble as manually adding the balloons. I submitted a Product Enhancement Request but I'm sure that it will take many more requests than mine to get it done.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back