Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Moving then rotating a cube

Jmorton76

Hello all,

I have a cube in my assembly that I have to move 5", then have it rotate 90 degrees. When I initially setup my connection, I align the axis on the center of the cube with an axis in my assembly.

In animation mode when I go to create my snapshots, I get to the point where I move my cube 5" to its new position, thenfor thefollowing snapshot I setup the constraint "joint axis", then select the joint axis connection of the cube. When I run the animation, the cube shifts back to the joint axis connection then rotates.

Does anyone know how I can make the cube stay at it's new position and rotate?

Thanks much!

well this can be done with many ways

however I usually make simple trick to work around this case.

So What I do - this is more work demanded but it works finaly quite well. So you prepare in assembly Style set for two cubes, one for linaer movement, second for rotatting. It means you should put and assemble two cubes instead one.

So with this in background you simply manage these sets in animation to show and hide them in right time. So first you show only linear move cube, hide it, show second one.

You can see this technic in my film I made some time ago, take a look on this post

http://www.mcadcentral.com/proe/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=35 021&KW=muadib3d

there is a moment when an arm which grabs a leg from tv set suddenly drops it. This when this tecjnique was used.

hope this help

Do you mean something like this?

2007-11-30_065247_ANIMAZIONE_LOGO.rar

Leonello
smiley36.gif

I think one solution would be to define a cylindrical connection when assembling the cube in mechanism. Then use translational joint settings of cylindrical connection to move the cube by 5" and then use rotational joint settings (of the same cylindrical connection) to rotate it by 90 degree.

It means you will have to define two separate motors : one for translation and one for rotation ( and both will be for the same cylindrical joint)

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back