Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

monolithic vs. Discrete Servers

mediumsliced

Hi,

I would like to seek some input from you guys about sizing Pro/INTRALINK 8.0+ hardware. I've heard that splitting the application and database tiers would greatly improve performance. I've implemented monolithic production installs and am less than impressed with the performance. Am thinking of going dual servers but would like to hear from other folks too.

Edited by: mediumsliced

Nobody? I have already experienced the "lightning" that
is ilink80 on a single server setup. I'll try to
persuade some guys to try it out using a dual-server
setup, one dedicated to the database tier and another
for the applications.

Well, the problem may not be the single server, but the hardware that you are running it on. What is the single system's specs?

I would want at least 2 dual core processors and 8GB of memory in a single system for running Windchill and Oracle. I would prefer 4 dual cores and 16GB memory, which is what I have for my Windchill-only server here.

Stay away from quad-core machines! The system architecture has too high of an overhead to really buy you ant performance gains. Well, maybe if I had a 4 quad-core system with 32GB memory, but now that requires additional OS licenseing, Enterprise instead of normal Server 2003.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back